what myth or myths tackled in this book have been limiting your progree and success at life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

what myth or myths tackled in this book have been limiting your progree and success at life?

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Every chapter tackles a myth that Rob had believed in and ascribed to but which is countered with a truth which life has taught him and which he lives by.
The myth that I believe and have allowed to limit my progress is
impress others-get applause of the world.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I think that the myth that I had was about the personal limits and abilities. The idea that you set your own limits and that you create a glass ceiling effect for yourself.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

For me, this myth "Learn to fit in; play it safe— it’s right and proper."is the one that has limited my abilities. Trying to live up to the expectations of my family and our community.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

"Those who get the most toys and attention experience life at its richest."

I've often, even if just subconsciously, believed that grass is always greener on the other side, and some people are just given "it" that makes them lead a happy and interesting life. So why even try if you're not one of the "chosen ones." It's a downward spiral that's hard to get out of.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Hildah Mose wrote: 07 Jan 2018, 03:18 For me, this myth "Learn to fit in; play it safe— it’s right and proper."is the one that has limited my abilities. Trying to live up to the expectations of my family and our community.
I agree! I never thought I had a problem with this until I came to Japan, where everyone believes the same thing. No one should ever stand out or be "unique," because the nail that sticks out gets hammered down. However, in a place like Japan where everyone strives to be the same, I think that taking a little risk and putting yourself out there as different is what actually gets you further. In reality, companies want people who can say with confidence, "I can think differently from others. I can take a different approach, and things will work out even better than they did before."
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Thankyou N_R, Hildah Mose, AliceofX, and Katiequilts for engaging me on this question. I believe we will all confront the self limiting myths that we have ascribed to and replace them with truths as we muster up the courage to be ourselves in a world that is constantly trying to make us be like everybodyelse. We then will live out our purposes and maximise our potential in this world.
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

For me, the myth "I get trapped into doing the things I don't want to do".
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
TrishKissane
Currently Reading: Transforming Faith
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishkissane.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by TrishKissane »

The myth that you have to "follow in your Father's footsteps". I have recently started to realise that my upbringing and family traits/traditions will of course have impacted me but the art is to take what was positive to me and walk my own path.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I think that the myth that I had was about the personal limits and abilities. The idea that you set your own limits and that you create a glass ceiling effect for yourself.
For me too. I'm terrible for lacking confidence and deciding I can't do something. If I decided that before I even tried, it might not be so bad, but I usually decide it even as I'm doing the thing and doing it perfectly well :?
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

:ditto: Sometimes when I'm not sure of myself, I do well and when I'm sure of myself, it's the opposite.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

N_R wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 18:02 I think that the myth that I had was about the personal limits and abilities. The idea that you set your own limits and that you create a glass ceiling effect for yourself.
This is the one that got me, too. No matter where I've been in life, I've always had problems with motivation unless it's something I love doing. And sometimes, even then. And I feel like I always have this roadblock where I'm terrified of things not working out or I just assume it's not something I can accomplish so I set those limitations long before I even consider jumping over them. Ironically, it can be pointed out a million times and I still haven't figured out how to put into practice something that changes this.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 08 Jan 2018, 02:00 Thankyou N_R, Hildah Mose, AliceofX, and Katiequilts for engaging me on this question. I believe we will all confront the self limiting myths that we have ascribed to and replace them with truths as we muster up the courage to be ourselves in a world that is constantly trying to make us be like everybodyelse. We then will live out our purposes and maximise our potential in this world.
This is inspiring. The new year is perfect time for me to ponder on this and take action.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

For me, the myth about personal limits and personal abilities was one that really hit home. I have heard that saying that you are your hardest critic and while I know this I still can't seem to get over the mental tug of war that I can do something or that I have done something well. I can see how I set the glass ceiling for myself and that I am truly my own worst enemy. I don't know what I can personally do to get over this but it is a work in progress for sure!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

The myth that I tend to believe is this: If you must choose between indecision and perhaps making a wrong decision—it’s right to choose indecision. I struggle with decision-making. What I know but forget is that sometimes taking action is the only way to make progress and learn new things. Indecision is stagnant.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The only thing I found relatable was in the chapter Toeing the Line. Growing up in a small town myself, I know how hard it is to break free from the limits imposed by both family and society. Thinking that "This is it. This is the world," is a dangerous myth that should be broken.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”