Should there be a sequel?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Annogor
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogor.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Re: Should there be a sequel?

Post by Annogor »

A sequel on official gurus would not be a great idea. There are enough stories about official gurus already. The thrill of the book lies with the effect the unoffical gurus
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I would like a separate book about how he started his spiritual journey and the gurus he met then. But not as a sequel to this one because the essence of this book is that you can find gurus anywhere and in anyone.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

If there was, I wouldn't read it. It felt just a tad shallow for me, as someone who's lived through some truly wild and horrible ordeals, and I felt like I got some value from the original, but not enough to warrant taking the time to read something similar, especially from the same author.
Maks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maks »

I would definitely like to see a sequel to this read. Rob has been able to bring about an entirely new understanding of the world. The knowledge that one does not need to be a guru in a certain field to have the inspiration and great satisfaction in life. good read.
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

I wouldn't be interested in reading a sequel, but I would be down with reading a second motivational book. It would be cool to read what he learns in his next chapter in life. We are always evolving and changing, so if things drastically change for him in the next five to ten years, it would be interesting to see his evolution.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

Personally, I don’t think there should be a sequel to this book. In my personal opinion it would kill the essence of the book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

A sequel for an inspirational book wouldn't make much sense. Maybe a completely new story from the same Author, but not a sequel to this particular one.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

I don't think there is a need for a sequel. The author
has summarized many of his learning in this book.
Unless there's a total transformation in his thought
process from where is right now, I guess there won't
be much to add. Even if there's another book on this
topic from the author, I presume the style and the
theme would be much different from this book.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I've seen motivational books where the follow up is more specific, like if maybe he took one of his lessons and delved into a very detailed account of how he applied it to his life, the results it had on different aspects in his life and maybe things like how the message changed and evolved. But I wouldn't necessarily call it a sequel, more of just a companion.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Emma13 wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 06:14
AliceofX wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 13:05 I don't see how that could come about. The book is almost an autobiography of sorts, and autobiographies don't have sequels. I saw it as a story about how one person's character and opinions were formed throughout his life. It's about growing up, in a sense. I don't see where you could go from there.
I'd agree with this. The book covers periods from his adolescence into adulthood, from poverty to wealth, so there's little else to explore.

He writes in a fairly engaging way, though. Perhaps he could do something with interviewing other people and looking at their stories, rather than his own.
Interviewing others for a sequel might work but don't you think that might cut out some readers who enjoyed the this one for the auto-biography aspect?
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

If the author decided to write another book in this vein, I would rather it focus in on his childhood and adolescence than continue to talk about any of the gurus he met. To me, he felt the most relatable and grounded when recounting stories from his childhood.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Yes definitely. The author has proved to is that he is good at what he does or rather great. I want to identify with him more and as such there should be a sequel or even more sequels.
MA
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

Not at all, this book has already been completed because he had shared his experiences and hence would have encoutered new things that might be written as another phase of his life, which can stand on its own
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Since this is a non-fiction/self-help book, there will not be a sequel. Maybe a different book will come out with more life lessons. I hope so. Everyday learning is important for everyone even for the author too.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I don't think he should write a sequel or another motivational book. The thing I loved best about Rob White's writing was his engaging way of telling stories. I'd love to read a book about his travel experiences, for example, but I don't think he can necessarily give me more advice.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”