Should there be a sequel?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Should there be a sequel?

Post by lavellan »

Should there be a sequel to the book either involving the official self-help gurus he met or mentioning other real life gurus?

Do you think there’s anything left to learn from the author?
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I don't think there should be a sequel about the official gurus, because the book wasn't about them. It was almost the opposite of that - about learning from the surprising, unlikely people you meet everyday. That said, it's pretty clear the author is a self help, motivational guru himself, which makes it an odd kind of book. If anything, I think the chapters in the books could be expanded, as some of them could almost be novels in themselves. The chapter where he's growing up and they're all walking like their fathers, but then he breaks away for example, almost feels like a plot synopsis for a coming of age novel!
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

I don't see how that could come about. The book is almost an autobiography of sorts, and autobiographies don't have sequels. I saw it as a story about how one person's character and opinions were formed throughout his life. It's about growing up, in a sense. I don't see where you could go from there.
lavellan
Currently Reading:

Post by lavellan »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 12:21 I don't think there should be a sequel about the official gurus, because the book wasn't about them. It was almost the opposite of that - about learning from the surprising, unlikely people you meet everyday. That said, it's pretty clear the author is a self help, motivational guru himself, which makes it an odd kind of book. If anything, I think the chapters in the books could be expanded, as some of them could almost be novels in themselves. The chapter where he's growing up and they're all walking like their fathers, but then he breaks away for example, almost feels like a plot synopsis for a coming of age novel!
That's true! I agree that there is more to the story when looking at his younger years. More could be added about when he was in college as well.
lavellan
Currently Reading:

Post by lavellan »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 13:05 I don't see how that could come about. The book is almost an autobiography of sorts, and autobiographies don't have sequels. I saw it as a story about how one person's character and opinions were formed throughout his life. It's about growing up, in a sense. I don't see where you could go from there.
That's a good point. I was thinking more along of the lines of a continuation than a traditional sequel, but what you said is very true. Unless he left out some critical transition points in his life, there isn't much left to say.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

There is always something new to learn, from anybody about anything. I think a sequel is a good idea, especially if the author listens to what his readers said about the book, and writes it to suit them.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

Perhaps not a sequel but another motivational book by this author would be great. I think though he must do a better job at editing to minimise the errors
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Gikonyo Caroline wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 04:49 Perhaps not a sequel but another motivational book by this author would be great. I think though he must do a better job at editing to minimise the errors
I agree with your idea. Another motivational book to inspire different people. His story is common but not as the same as him. Just a similar alike. :D
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
nadiadeana
Currently Reading: All Those Things We Never Said
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiadeana.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by nadiadeana »

I don't think so. I agree what with what the other's said, how the book is an autobiography of sorts and can rarely have sequels.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

Another motivational/inspirational book sounds great, am not sure a sequel could work considering the genre of the book.
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I don't think a sequel for this book would work. This book better as a standalone book.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it would be hard to have a sequel. Yes we are always learning, and I'm sure the author is still learning. I just don't think it would be enough for a book. As for the official gurus, as someone else said, it wasn't about them. Therefore, you couldn't really call it a sequel.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lavellan
Currently Reading:

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for everyone’s input! It would make more sense for there to be another motivational book written by him rather than a sequel.
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

I think a sequel might be difficult to create as it is based largely on experience. However, a second motivational book would be great, seeing the way they have carried out this one.
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

Considering that this in a memoir, self-help book, I don't think there should be a sequel. First of all, it would be very hard, considering he's explained all of the lessons he was taught by "gurus" from his childhood to adulthood. Secondly, I just don't see fit for a sequel. If he were to write another book like this, I would prefer it to be a stand alone.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”