Should there be a sequel?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Re: Should there be a sequel?

Post by MaryBurris »

I don't think there should be a sequel. If one is written, I don't think that I would read it.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

lavellan wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 19:33
fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 12:21 I don't think there should be a sequel about the official gurus, because the book wasn't about them. It was almost the opposite of that - about learning from the surprising, unlikely people you meet everyday. That said, it's pretty clear the author is a self help, motivational guru himself, which makes it an odd kind of book. If anything, I think the chapters in the books could be expanded, as some of them could almost be novels in themselves. The chapter where he's growing up and they're all walking like their fathers, but then he breaks away for example, almost feels like a plot synopsis for a coming of age novel!
Well, I agree, this motivational book needs no sequel but there is room for further improvement
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I do not think this is the kind of book that needs or requires a sequel. For me, it was motivational memoir. That being said, I would love to read another book from the enthusiastic and uplifting Rob White.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Reviewer Book
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-book.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Reviewer Book »

MaryBurris wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 11:30 I don't think there should be a sequel. If one is written, I don't think that I would read it.
Did you not enjoy the first?
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 11:57
lavellan wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 19:33
fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 12:21 I don't think there should be a sequel about the official gurus, because the book wasn't about them. It was almost the opposite of that - about learning from the surprising, unlikely people you meet everyday. That said, it's pretty clear the author is a self help, motivational guru himself, which makes it an odd kind of book. If anything, I think the chapters in the books could be expanded, as some of them could almost be novels in themselves. The chapter where he's growing up and they're all walking like their fathers, but then he breaks away for example, almost feels like a plot synopsis for a coming of age novel!
Well, I agree, this motivational book needs no sequel but there is room for further improvement
How can it be improved?
Reviewer Book

Post by Reviewer Book »

Yolimari wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 14:01 I do not think this is the kind of book that needs or requires a sequel. For me, it was motivational memoir. That being said, I would love to read another book from the enthusiastic and uplifting Rob White.
I'm glad you enjoyed this book enough to want to read more by the author!
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I think we live in a society today full of series of books so we always feel like a good book should have a sequel. In this case I think that it was self contained and complete in one book.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Actually no! The book is fine the way it is. Sure you can learn from other people and do a better work, but it is not your own rather a developed one. I appreciate this book specially on that the author is in the authors nature. The book display his flaws and how he developed. If we take other's advice in adding up. On my opinion then it its not great, I prefer original work.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Sequels should come from those who have been impacted by And Then I Met Margaret. Each person should send in a chapter of a time they were helped by an ordinary guru. It could result in a whole series of books!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

No definitely not - I think that with the content it needs to be one of those stand alone books rather than part of a series.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

What would he say in the sequel that hasn't been said in other motivational books? If there's anything of the sort then, yes! There should be a sequel.

What sells the book is the stories, which like poetry, can have a message deeper than what the author anticipated. It all depends on the reader once the author's intentions are done.
tonysgirl0805
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonysgirl0805.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by tonysgirl0805 »

No I do not feel there should be another book because the first one was to misleading and was not what the description led us to believe it would be. Plus I am not sure there would be anymore stories to share
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
TrishKissane
Currently Reading: Transforming Faith
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishkissane.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by TrishKissane »

I don't think a sequel makes sense. The sequel should be taking the nuggets of wisdom and applying it to our own life story. Looking for our own teachers (past, present & future). I think this book empowers us to do just that.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Quartz wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 11:20 Considering that this in a memoir, self-help book, I don't think there should be a sequel. First of all, it would be very hard, considering he's explained all of the lessons he was taught by "gurus" from his childhood to adulthood. Secondly, I just don't see fit for a sequel. If he were to write another book like this, I would prefer it to be a stand alone.
This seems to be the consensus of most. I would tend to agree. "Self-help", or motivational books are really better as standalone books. If it came out as a sequel, many would think they had to read the first one before reading the second, and that would prohibit some from reading.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

There is no need for a sequel, or rather, the circumstances do not point to it. Rob has fulfilled in himself the culmination of the inspirational motivation that he was talking about. That could be considered a fitting closure. His success in business serves as the proper ending of the book.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”