What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Re: What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Post by Kenko Betty »

I wouldn't exactly say I learnt something new. However, most of the silent positive me was brought up. I became more conscious of certain things I already knew. I would think the only new thing I got from the book (and it is the main thing) is to be more conscious of the people around me.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I think my biggest takeaway from And Then I Met Margaret is the idea of being open to other people and then taking enough time to reflect on and value the things that I've learned from them. It's easy for me to go through life thinking of myself as the hero in my own stories and relationships and never really taking the time to reflect on what I can learn from my daily interactions with others.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

jaylperry wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 13:34 I think my biggest takeaway from And Then I Met Margaret is the idea of being open to other people and then taking enough time to reflect on and value the things that I've learned from them. It's easy for me to go through life thinking of myself as the hero in my own stories and relationships and never really taking the time to reflect on what I can learn from my daily interactions with others.
You are right! Your idea reminds me of something. Whatever be the things we heard from other people is one way of checking ourselves and for us to reflect. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

My lesson from the book is that we should have it in mind that for everyone that walks in and out of our lives, they have a purpose. If they don't bring good news, they would surely being bad news. But the important thing is that they have a purpose and I learnt that It would be better if I watched those I kept company with. The old saying goes that: bad company corrupts good manners.

The characters in this books are the same ones that made one or two impact in Sir Rob's life. I would learn a lot if I moved with those I could gain things from and not those that would suck nw dry like an orange and make me empty like they themselves were.

The lessons are everyday reminders and not something new but still, it was good coming across something that could encourage us to move from negativity and attract positivism.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

My lesson from the book is that we should have it in mind that for everyone that walks in and out of our lives, they have a purpose. If they don't bring good news, they would surely being bad news. But the important thing is that they have a purpose and I learnt that It would be better if I watched those I kept company with. The old saying goes that: bad company corrupts good manners.

The characters in this book are the same ones that made one or two impact in Sir Rob's life. I would learn a lot if I moved with those I could gain things from and not those that would suck nw dry like an orange and make me empty like they themselves were.

The lessons are everyday reminders and not something new but still, it was good coming across something that could encourage us to move from negativity and attract positivism.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

To maintain and foster empathy for others
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

I think a lesson that carries through the book well is just the idea that you should always have an open mind for learning. You never know who you will meet, or what that person may teach you. The most important lessons in your life may come from unsuspecting sources.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I learnt that every thing in your life is meant to happen, be it good or bad. And no matter what, you will survive. So, don't ever give up.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I learned that some of the things I worry about are actually minor problems when I look at the wider picture or scheme of things. I learned gratitude.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

I think by reading this book And I Met Margaret, it helped me to re-evaluate my own beliefs in dealing my life, some which I already knew and some still striking hearing them from the different perspective of the characters.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I thought I learned something from each of the gurus. The one that sticks with me the most is the last one when Peter said he just decided not to die
mcsob16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcsob16.html

Post by mcsob16 »

I learnt the importance of rising after falling. I wouldn't let a fall determine who I am.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

My humbling lesson is that it's the small things in life that count. For example, what you do, loving it and doing it with dedication, like its the last thing you'll ever do.
daratega11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daratega11.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by daratega11 »

I learnt that no one is an island of Knowledge. If you are ready to learn, you won't look down on anybody.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

I have learned to pay attention to what you can learn from the people that come into your life.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”