What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kenko Betty
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Post by Kenko Betty » 29 Jan 2018, 11:32

I wouldn't exactly say I learnt something new. However, most of the silent positive me was brought up. I became more conscious of certain things I already knew. I would think the only new thing I got from the book (and it is the main thing) is to be more conscious of the people around me.

jaylperry
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: The Polygrapher
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jaylperry » 29 Jan 2018, 13:34

I think my biggest takeaway from And Then I Met Margaret is the idea of being open to other people and then taking enough time to reflect on and value the things that I've learned from them. It's easy for me to go through life thinking of myself as the hero in my own stories and relationships and never really taking the time to reflect on what I can learn from my daily interactions with others.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle

pinklover
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Prayers of the Righteous by Sylvia M Cuttino

Post by pinklover » 30 Jan 2018, 02:30

jaylperry wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 13:34
I think my biggest takeaway from And Then I Met Margaret is the idea of being open to other people and then taking enough time to reflect on and value the things that I've learned from them. It's easy for me to go through life thinking of myself as the hero in my own stories and relationships and never really taking the time to reflect on what I can learn from my daily interactions with others.
You are right! Your idea reminds me of something. Whatever be the things we heard from other people is one way of checking ourselves and for us to reflect. :tiphat:

Hephzi Lolami
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: fault in our stars
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Hephzi Lolami » 30 Jan 2018, 21:02

My lesson from the book is that we should have it in mind that for everyone that walks in and out of our lives, they have a purpose. If they don't bring good news, they would surely being bad news. But the important thing is that they have a purpose and I learnt that It would be better if I watched those I kept company with. The old saying goes that: bad company corrupts good manners.

The characters in this books are the same ones that made one or two impact in Sir Rob's life. I would learn a lot if I moved with those I could gain things from and not those that would suck nw dry like an orange and make me empty like they themselves were.

The lessons are everyday reminders and not something new but still, it was good coming across something that could encourage us to move from negativity and attract positivism.

Hephzi Lolami
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: fault in our stars
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Hephzi Lolami » 30 Jan 2018, 21:03

My lesson from the book is that we should have it in mind that for everyone that walks in and out of our lives, they have a purpose. If they don't bring good news, they would surely being bad news. But the important thing is that they have a purpose and I learnt that It would be better if I watched those I kept company with. The old saying goes that: bad company corrupts good manners.

The characters in this book are the same ones that made one or two impact in Sir Rob's life. I would learn a lot if I moved with those I could gain things from and not those that would suck nw dry like an orange and make me empty like they themselves were.

The lessons are everyday reminders and not something new but still, it was good coming across something that could encourage us to move from negativity and attract positivism.

R-g-R
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 253
Currently Reading: Elastic Girl
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by R-g-R » 31 Jan 2018, 08:57

To maintain and foster empathy for others

Strongbob25
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 » 04 Feb 2018, 18:22

I think a lesson that carries through the book well is just the idea that you should always have an open mind for learning. You never know who you will meet, or what that person may teach you. The most important lessons in your life may come from unsuspecting sources.

Samy Lax
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 31
Currently Reading: Obsidian Sky
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Samy Lax » 06 Feb 2018, 05:39

I learnt that every thing in your life is meant to happen, be it good or bad. And no matter what, you will survive. So, don't ever give up.
“For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans are capable of greatness.”
― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space

CambaReviewer
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 32
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading: Sandy's Story
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cambareviewer.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by CambaReviewer » 06 Feb 2018, 18:18

I learned that some of the things I worry about are actually minor problems when I look at the wider picture or scheme of things. I learned gratitude.

NeonKay
2018 Reading Goal: 33
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: Guradian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by NeonKay » 06 Feb 2018, 21:16

I think by reading this book And I Met Margaret, it helped me to re-evaluate my own beliefs in dealing my life, some which I already knew and some still striking hearing them from the different perspective of the characters.

thelittlelibrary
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by thelittlelibrary » 07 Feb 2018, 07:15

I thought I learned something from each of the gurus. The one that sticks with me the most is the last one when Peter said he just decided not to die

mcsob16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcsob16.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by mcsob16 » 07 Feb 2018, 11:41

I learnt the importance of rising after falling. I wouldn't let a fall determine who I am.

Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: "Sharing My Shoes A Walk through the Journey of Forgiveness" by Tammy Gaffney

Post by Quinto » 11 Feb 2018, 11:09

My humbling lesson is that it's the small things in life that count. For example, what you do, loving it and doing it with dedication, like its the last thing you'll ever do.

daratega11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daratega11.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by daratega11 » 12 Feb 2018, 08:01

I learnt that no one is an island of Knowledge. If you are ready to learn, you won't look down on anybody.

Palfree
Currently Reading: A Bloody Book
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Palfree » 12 Feb 2018, 14:01

I have learned to pay attention to what you can learn from the people that come into your life.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”