What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
samuelnjenga35
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What did you learn from “And Then I Met Margaret”?

Post by samuelnjenga35 »

year its a nice book .We don't know what is ahead of time. We don't know the future. I just believe that his life is also unique as well as ours. Some will get rich but others will not even if how hard they work for it. It is only By the Hands of God.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I might say, the book wants to impart the idea that what we strive to make of ourselves will ultimately be what we will be. The transformation that Rob envisioned of himself, he really worked hard towards its realization. And he really succeeded, against all the odds. And hence, his rags-to-riches story he has lived up to.
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

I have learnt that every experience in my life is for a purpose, whether good or bad. And also never to give up on may life despite the obstacles that may come along.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I learned that there is gain in being good to others. Kindness offered, comes back to you.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I think the biggest takeaway I have from this book in terms of something it taught me is to come up with creative ways to address adverse situations throughout life. For example, not arguing with others when they believe they’re right, but calmly finding a way to address their mistake without specifically calling them out on it. I feel like it kind of offers the opportunity for people to deal with conflict that doesn’t upset anyone too much and gets them rethinking things.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Happy new year too!
What I learnt the most is to be courageous to choose something that is out of norm or ordinary. For example, Rob White's friends chose to work at the factory mill, whilst he is the only one who opted for college. During his time, the route for college was more reserved for the rich family. I can relate to the author when he mentioned that he felt offsite when his friends shared the inside joke of the factory. Furthermore, my understanding was widened when he continuously reinvent his life. It opened my understanding that there is no age limit to change i.e. he left his profession as a school teacher and get involved in the real estate business in his forties.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

The book is bolstering a belief that I already possess, but needs bolstering. That belief is that everyone we encounter will teach us something. Some of our gurus will anger us and we learn patience or tolerance if we choose. They may teach us about kindness from their example. It is reminding me to look for the more subtle clues that a lesson is afoot.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

In psychology, we define learning as a CHANGE in behavior, meaning the change should be evident in one's actions for one to claim that he/she has learned something. The author failed to demonstrate this in his own writings, as I see him regressing to his former ways of acting.

So what has changed in my behavior since I read this book? Wellllll...
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 08:28 This book reminded me of lot things since each had something to say. But I really liked the chap. 14 advice that he gave: "Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don't want to go...don't hesitate at the corners; excuses will slow down your progress...one successful corner can lead to another and result in a positive chain reaction...listen for the thumping sounds in your journey through life - thet mean you are drifting out of the lane and heading for a crash...and perhaps the biggest of them all...Life gives you many opportunities to learn how to navigate through the world safely; there's no better teacher than experience. But, eventually you must become your own instructor if you plan to win".
I wrote that down, too(at least the first part)! I think it's something that we all should remember, no matter our view of "success". Focus on where you want to be, and your outlook will at the very least improve your chances of getting there.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I did not really learn anything new from this book; it contain many of the same messages as other motivational/inspirational stories. The one thing that really stood out for me, however, was how much I enjoyed the 'pay it forward' behaviour that Rob demonstrated. I liked the way that, when someone imparted a helpful piece of advice to him, he would then share that advice with someone else who could benefit from it. To me, that was the aspect that touched me most.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

I also had one of the hardest years in 2017. I think it is in times like these that make you look for books like this to help redirect you so that the next year doesn't follow suit. I love learning new things that can help me to improve my life. I think that while this book had a lot to say that I have heard before, it didn't hurt to hear it again. It was also refreshing to hear it in a different way that put somethings into a different perspective for me. I think one of the biggest ones that really stood out to me this time was standing up for what I believe in. This is something that can often be hard but will pave the way for how your life goes.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 09:46 I think my main take-away from it - although there were many great lines, as Sahani says above - is to be very aware of the people around you in life and the lessons they can all teach. That lessons may come quite randomly from someone you don't know well, or bump into in a shop. You don't need lifestyle gurus and expensive courses in motivation and how to live, just look at those around you and keep your eyes and mind open. When I think about the people in my own life, there are constant examples of people who've done really well, often against adverse circumstances, because they've kept going and kept cheerful. And others who are endlessly negative and show how not to live life.
I haven't read this yet but I could not agree more with that. I've personally noticed a huge difference in my life relative to who I spend my time with. When I've been around positive, creative people I've been positive and creative. When I've been around stagnant, nonproductive people I've been the same.

Thank goodness for the online communities I'm part of because I don't have a lot of positive influences in my physical proximity!
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

shalom113 wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 21:42 I learned that "its the little things in life that count" not always the big events. That life consists of " not how many breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away" and that, " you can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails".
true :handgestures-thumbupright: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Raksha Rakhecha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raksha-rakhecha.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Raksha Rakhecha »

Lebs wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 15:31 First of all, its okay to fail and start again. Secondly, always take note of who is around you and what they have to offer, you do not realise the lessons you can miss because you're not paying attention.
Totally! :D
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I learned that some of the most important life lessons can come from some of the most unexpected people at the most unexpected of times. We should never allow our prejudices to shadow people. I truly believe that everyone has their own story and there something that I can learn from it.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”