How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by Paul78 »

uyky wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 12:38 I can't identify with it at all. To me author is kind of spoiled and sees the world as something that is there only for him, without much regard for others. It's on point if you want money and power, but I do believe being a good person is more important.
If you look at the beginning of the book, you will see his auntie passing the best gifts before her demise. Through his actions in the stores, he is forced to join the teaching career. That is a positive moment that one can identify with.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

If you can relate to the story, it is very easy for you to identify with this book. His life is also a lesson and a living testimony to those who are hopeless. His life is a common story, yet he stand.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
cshaffer17
Currently Reading: The Last Days of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cshaffer17.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by cshaffer17 »

I definitely identified with this book. I think everyone, in some sense or another feels like they are being judged for who they are. I know I have, and still do sometimes. I especially liked the first part of the book because it talked about old fashioned values that we as a society need to be reminded about. Hard work pays off. You don't get something from nothing. Generations today seem to be missing this concept. I also enjoyed that it showed his struggle to find himself, even all the way up until 70. This is encouraging for someone who is 30, and still hasn't found their calling or success to speak of.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

cshaffer17 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 12:47 I definitely identified with this book. I think everyone, in some sense or another feels like they are being judged for who they are. I know I have, and still do sometimes. I especially liked the first part of the book because it talked about old fashioned values that we as a society need to be reminded about. Hard work pays off. You don't get something from nothing. Generations today seem to be missing this concept. I also enjoyed that it showed his struggle to find himself, even all the way up until 70. This is encouraging for someone who is 30, and still hasn't found their calling or success to speak of.
I can’t speak for everyone, but I feel like part of the reason that younger generations have a hard time with believing that hard work pays off is because there are a lot of instances where that’s not true. White was exceptionally fortunate in the fact that he met someone who was willing not only to teach him, but also to more or less hand over his business to White when he retired. That’s not the sort of opportunity a lot of people get these days. And there are people who work hard their whole lives and rarely (if ever) find it paying off in the way it did for White.

Now, I’m definitely not saying hard work isn’t important or that there arent people out there who write it off, but I definitely think there was more than just hard work at play for White. There was hard work, motivation, the willingness to go for what he wanted, the ability to overcome insecurities and fears, and also luck.
HOSEANYATU
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 94

Post by HOSEANYATU »

life is not how you succeed only but also how you struggle and help the community to get solution
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I identified with the idea that life is nonlinear and the idea that there is always some learning opportunity in every experience.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

As a college student who's still not quite sure what she wants to do with her life, it's easy to fall into a pit of never-ending anxiety about what the future will hold, especially since I took a pretty impractical approach and aim to major in art.

But this book really reminded me of all the advice my mom always gives me - that there is no correct step-by-step guideline to life, and that you can always learn more and always achieve more if you really set your mind to it, no matter what stage you are in your life, an every time you make a decision, you're one step closer to where you want to be.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

psychopathycathy wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 01:21 As a college student who's still not quite sure what she wants to do with her life, it's easy to fall into a pit of never-ending anxiety about what the future will hold, especially since I took a pretty impractical approach and aim to major in art.

But this book really reminded me of all the advice my mom always gives me - that there is no correct step-by-step guideline to life, and that you can always learn more and always achieve more if you really set your mind to it, no matter what stage you are in your life, an every time you make a decision, you're one step closer to where you want to be.
yeah, your idea reminds me of my mother, too. We are still young and there many things in life we will go through ahead. It is very hard to achieve things without mind-setting our mind. What the mind conceives, the body can achieve.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Robyn Lea
Currently Reading: Why Nations Fail
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robyn-lea.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Robyn Lea »

So far I've read the first few chapters and they are a good reminder of those people from our childhood who played such an important role in our lives and development. It made me remember people I hadn't thought about in some time. They could be neighbors, teachers, coaches, relatives, and others.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

Without any doubt, the one about not thinking about the black cat.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Like Rob White, I have met many people throughout my life who have intentionally and inadvertently taught me valuable life lessons. I did not necessarily have "myths" but definitely misconceptions that were clarified with experience and over time. And Then I Met Margaret definitely reminded me that life is a journey filled with experiences that can change your whole life. Reading White's stories made me reflect on my own journey and appreciate the mistakes as well as the successes because both are equally valuable in character building.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Like Rob White, I have met many people throughout my life who have intentionally and inadvertently taught me valuable life lessons. I did not necessarily have "myths" but definitely misconceptions that were clarified with experience and over time. And Then I Met Margaret definitely reminded me that life is a journey filled with experiences that can change your whole life. Reading White's stories made me reflect on my own journey and appreciate the mistakes as well as the successes because both are equally valuable in character building.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

KFree_Reads wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 12:03 Like Rob White, I have met many people throughout my life who have intentionally and inadvertently taught me valuable life lessons. I did not necessarily have "myths" but definitely misconceptions that were clarified with experience and over time. And Then I Met Margaret definitely reminded me that life is a journey filled with experiences that can change your whole life. Reading White's stories made me reflect on my own journey and appreciate the mistakes as well as the successes because both are equally valuable in character building.
I agree that both are valuable in character building. I’m glad you could identify so well with the book.
pinklover

Post by pinklover »

KFree_Reads wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 12:03 Like Rob White, I have met many people throughout my life who have intentionally and inadvertently taught me valuable life lessons. I did not necessarily have "myths" but definitely misconceptions that were clarified with experience and over time. And Then I Met Margaret definitely reminded me that life is a journey filled with experiences that can change your whole life. Reading White's stories made me reflect on my own journey and appreciate the mistakes as well as the successes because both are equally valuable in character building.
wOW, NICE REFLECTION of the story. I like this idea of yours "life is a journey filled with experiences that can change your whole life". I learned from your idea. Thanks for that. :lol: :idea:
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

pinklover wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 01:50
wOW, NICE REFLECTION of the story. I like this idea of yours "life is a journey filled with experiences that can change your whole life". I learned from your idea. Thanks for that. :lol: :idea:
You're most welcome! Happy someone can learn from me :)

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”