How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by Peta2017 »

It is interesting that you viewed yourself through the lens of failure because you went back home to work. I think it is because you automatically viewed your surroundings as not 'big' enough for you. You equated success with being away from home while not remembering success can come at different points and at different levels, not just how you have mentally perceived it to be
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

For me, the real lesson is leaving by factual truth and tenets that are proven. Like Rob, superstition is backwardness and makes one a victim of someone's imagination. A prisoner of life.
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

Just like the author I was scared to fail, so I would rather remain indecisive some of the times.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I think about the "black cats"in my life and it's time for me to learn how not to think about them and focus on achieving success.
asha_odhiambo
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by asha_odhiambo »

I really remembered that day i was to to my final exam at the college when sister passed away and the day of burial i lost my dad and later could not do the exams and forced to stop going to college and look for job to get my college fees .So its really encourages me.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Graceia »

I am a mentor, and look up to authors to learn a few tricks in this life! Rob White's book was written for me; for inspiration and realization that what I struggle with is common place. I have been challenged to see opportunities and embrace them even when they show us as challenges.

A beautiful piece of work, here!
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

The book personally touches me in a couple of ways. Success, I agree with others, should be how much you achieved in your life but also how you did it. If you obtained certain success by stepping on others, I wouldn't be too proud but if you work hard for it and overcome obstacles, I would say one is successful. It ties in with the story of the lady in chapter seventeen. Not that it is easy to turn the other cheek but practicing tolerance, esp in today's society, is something we can all truly continue to practice. The concept of honorable behavior stood out to me in the chapter in light of the things going on in today's world.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I have been blessed to have several met several people in my life who are personal guru's. The first, is a pair of women who meant the world to me, my grandmothers.
My mother passed away when I was 5-years old. I spent alternating week-ends with my grandmothers who helped me learn so many things. My paternal grandmother was stricken with rheumatoid arthritis and was homebound. But she still awoke every morning, often in debilitating pain, and thanked God for giving her another sunrise. She never feared death. She would always speak of an upcoming time when she would be called home. She would tell us she would miss being with us physically, but that she would not leave us spiritually. That when God called her home she would be beautiful, walk upright instead of hunched over, and no longer have pain. But she would never leave us. To this day, more than 40 years late, I know she is with me.
My maternal grandmother became my best friend and my mentor. She filled in so many roles in my life as she helped my father raise my siblings and me. She taught me to love all things, to take time to smell the roses, and through her I learned that if you don't laugh at least once a day, then it wasn't worth getting out of bed. I live this still every day.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

At times I found Rob White difficult to relate to because he has gone through very different life experiences to me and he clearly has a lot of money. I found it easier to relate to the earlier chapters because they spoke about how he earns his way.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

The very first story about Aunt Theresa resonated with me. I aim to be the kind person that will sacrifice time, money, and even ridicule to give a little joy to someone else. But like the author learned, it's not always easy and our opportunities for kindness may come upon us unexpectedly. I actually disagree with the author's "kindness" to Gary; I don't think it's right to lie for someone who may need to learn their lesson the hard way. We should give mercy and grace when it is ours to give, but in this case it was up to the boss, not the author. Nonetheless, we should be on the lookout for those chances to be kind.
ezekiascriz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by ezekiascriz »

This book recaps twenty one of Rob’s awakening moments in inspirational, warm, and entertaining stories. You’ll read about a grade school student who, with one simple question, helped Rob gain a deeper understanding of the true meaning of life. You’ll meet a Maasai mother who demonstrated that we’re much more than we dare to imagine. And you’ll meet a former peanut vendor who turned medical wisdom on its head by simply deciding that he wasn’t going to die.

And Then I Met Margaret demonstrates that life is always supporting you by sending the right and perfect person to help you learn what you next need to know in order to grow. Rob wrote this book to alert you to the many unexpected teachers who can help shatter the myths that keep you from you experiencing life to the fullest and achieving your dreams and goals. :)
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I identify with Rob's experience in the story partly as I live in a small community where most of the people are not so intelligent (not to sound disrespectful or pompous) with a restrained mentality and only a few of us actually attend university.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

The major theme in the book is being successful. The question is how and what do you define as being successful? The author has done his part by showing us how he made it, its now up to us to chose our own part. What he did however, is to help us chose wisely.
Nebula
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Nebula »

well i was born in Albania, a small country. i grew up in the suburb of Albania and i have been put through difficulties to achieve my goals because many things were missing, the biggest cause was the poor mentality. but i was an excellent student, and when i became a teenager i started to believe in myself more than never. i started to think about my dreams and my goals. i have sacrificed but i have achieved what i wanted to achieve. my point is, it doesnt matter where you come from or what you have been put through in your past, it really makes you who you are today. and you can do anything if you believe :D
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Lebs wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 13:38 It was a good reminder that life is not linear. There are many starts, false starts, restarts and sometimes you feel like your'e going backwards. However, the author shows us that there is significance in each of these moments, even though you feel like a failure.
That is a powerful reminder. Our stories of success are always told in a linear fashion, and many of us become discouraged when we don't feel like we are moving on a steady path forward. I think we would benefit from more success stories that include the setbacks and the not-forward, but not-back moments as well.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”