How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by uyky »

Paul78 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 04:06
uyky wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 12:38 I can't identify with it at all. To me author is kind of spoiled and sees the world as something that is there only for him, without much regard for others. It's on point if you want money and power, but I do believe being a good person is more important.
If you look at the beginning of the book, you will see his auntie passing the best gifts before her demise. Through his actions in the stores, he is forced to join the teaching career. That is a positive moment that one can identify with.
Each person identifies with different things. I am sorry to say it did not work for me, even though I did like first three or four stories of his childhood.
JayMarie21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaymarie21.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by JayMarie21 »

It's a good reminder that life is all about the people we meet along the way. It is important to enjoy the journey as well as the destination as everyone has something (good or bad) to teach you along the way.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A lot of the stories here resonated with me. As a child growing up I had a low self esteem. I felt different, out of place. I had some difficulty making lots of friends. I did have a few very good friends though. The harder I tried to "fit in", the lower my self esteem became. I found chapters 5 and 6 which taught self-confidence and self-assertion very educative.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

I really loved the story. It makes me re-evaluate my life everytime I flip the pages of the book. At a young age, I have made my dreams very dear to me. I always look forward of growing faster so that I can accomplish them. Just then I finished my studies I realized I've made my life very complicated. Its like messing up your longest, big plan, and you just don't know how to get out of it. (lol) However, I did reach many goals and I'm thankful for it (but maybe not much). But still, discontentment lingers inside me. Overall, I can say this is really a good book that I can relate to and is very recommendable to anyone who needs refreshment to get in tuned again to their inner-self again.
drei97
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drei97.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by drei97 »

The one that personally struck me was the author's advice to start believing that I'm smarter than I actually am. People around me say that I'm still quite young to be too hard on myself. But I always begged to disagree. A lot of people my age have started achieving and making their marks in this world while I'm still stuck in this university that I can't graduate from. I'm long overdue. When I realized that, I started feeling small and unintelligent. Growing up, I always believed that I'm above average in terms of my intellect, especially compared to some of my classmates, but when I see them reaching for the stars just makes me feel like my whole life was a lie. It turns out I'm not smart enough.

But White sparked something up in me. Success is a decision. And failing is inevitable. But being a failure and staying at rock bottom, that is a choice I don't have to make. Kudos to this guru!
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

It made me feel like I should be more and have done more. But he gave me hope that I could encounter my destiny later on, maybe right now it's just not my time. Maybe I'm in the wrong spot. You just have to keep an open mind and be optimistic. Change isn't always good, and ending up in your hometown isn't always so bad. Where you are and what you do isn't the point. The main point is to be the best version of yourself, explore all your hidden talents and try to achieve your dreams.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I think it comes natural for one to be judgmental and critical, we just need to be aware of ourselves when we do that, and try and back-off. I can identify with the story since I had some incidences where after judging a situation I wouldn't want to be caught in, that is exactly where I would end up. So, I learnt that it is important for one to learn to be open-minded.
Remember, that which you judge you become.
Annogor
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogor.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Annogor »

I can relate with this book on some levels. First, i often get inspired by my own unofficial gurus. Secondly, it goes on to emphasise the impact of decision making is only felt when you work .
And dilligence is key in everything you do. Failure , sometimes is inevitable, but it is how you deal with it that matters
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

It makes me want to work on inner peace on a more day to day approach. I want to work on practicing yoga more often, and generally working to find my inner calm, even in the midst of chaos.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

The story of the black cat really resonated with me because I'm very quick to think of all the worst case scenarios. The formula one driving lesson was also pretty good because I do think I know much more than I actually do at times.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I closely relate to Rob's stories about his background. Having grown up in the village and in a remote area has always dictated the friends I make, how I use my money and the decisions I make.
Sphanice
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by Sphanice »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 10:17 I don't know that I necessarily personally related to the stories per se. I did, however, relate to the lessons that the author learned.
Experience is the best teacher.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

brian360 wrote: 04 Jan 2018, 09:45 I can relate this story with myself how I've gone backwards at times and feeling like a failure but there are always important lessons to learn from such experience
Yeah I like to think so too. There are many ways one could see things going on in the world but few of them involve the act of understanding how much more valuable one's life is than personal success.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I identified more with the lessons learned than the actual stories that demonstrated them, if that makes any sense. Especially in the second half of the book, where he's already wealthy and successful, I found it really difficult to empathize.
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I found it hard to personally make the connections since it was the complete opposite of my upbringing. The lessons learned throughout the book did speak to my heart.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”