How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by Scrawling Pen »

I found that I could relate to the early stories from Rob's small town and college years much more than the later stories. The ordinary gurus that came about in the absence of a successful career or large amounts of money are much more inspirational to me. I believe this is because of my upbringing in a small town and with the belief that everyone, no matter how important or famous they may seem, has the ability to make an impact on you.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I think I identify or relate to what I want to do with my life rather than what society expects of me.Personally I don't settle for less regardless of what people think or say: I always go for the kill no matter the odds.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This is a book I have wanted to read because I think it could help me get past the roadblocks in my life. A lot of it has to do with yourself and hearsay from others that makes you doubt your abilities. If I can inspire myself and hold onto that, I will achieve my dreams.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

I was quite inspired by this book and made me push harder and harder against the obstacles in life. I guess it inspired me to self-cultivate more.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I could relate to the book in the sense that many of the things he said seemed to be a restatement of things our mothers tell us when we are growing up. For example: "Be nice to others" is Aunt Theresa. "Tell the truth" is the police officer. "Share" is the British woman at the airport. "If it's too good to be true, it is" $500K, etc. So, as I read the different stories I heard my lovely mother speaking to me - "Mom knows best!"
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

The story about the founder of KFC really helped me. I'm a young adult and at times I feel like a failure due to where I am at in life and that story helped me realize that success for some people does take longer than it does for others.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I can't identify with it at all. To me author is kind of spoiled and sees the world as something that is there only for him, without much regard for others. It's on point if you want money and power, but I do believe being a good person is more important.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I believe in giving to the society to receive. It truly works and i can relate to it.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 23:31 I grew up in a small, blue collar town where I judged success by a person's ability to leave and be more successful elsewhere. I went to college and graduate school and ended up back working in that town after the death of a parent. I felt like a failure for ending up back where I started. White really made me stop and reexamine that attitude.

Did any of his stories make you draw similarities to your own life and experiences? Did it make you think differently about your preconceived ideas or judgements?
I completely relate to what you have said. Getting out of town, and getting a job is considered to be successful. I actually kinda like my hometown, and I don't know why people relate my choice of staying back to my failure in life. Such notions are deeply embedded in society where happiness and self satisfaction isnt taken into consideration while measuring someone's success.
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Comm, I also struggle with identity of this novel (though for completely different reasons). I grew up in a nice, not-so-small town, lived in a huge city, and now I'm going to a wonderful college in a very small town. The geography of the author's life did not deter me or distract me from the lessons: the economy of the author did. I cannot relate to a profound moment garnered from studying an African tribe for a week, or laughing off the destruction of a Porsche. Moments like that reminded me that, while White's world is great (in that it can literally afford him time to reflect and grow), it is far, far different from most.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html

Post by pinklover »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 08:44 It actually depends on how you look at success. If you believe leaving a small town and been more what others can achieve then that's success according to you. Even the author saw like that, first to be like his father and walk in his steps and be successful in the factory. But things chanced when he aspired to be more. It does not matter where your success comes from it is how much you have achieved in your life. The achievements are your success!

For me it was chap 17 about the British lady and her lesson to the author. The way she expressed her self to the author is truly commendable this really made me note things and want to take in my life: "cheerfulness in the face of rudeness, tolerance in the face of discourtesy and forgiveness in the face of intrusiveness". This showed me how too handle a situation in a truly honourable manner rather than behaving like a typical human been influenced by emotions.
I agree with you. There are similarities in my story with the author and the way we look at success differs. His life is a common story from rags to riches but the way he manage his life is a life lesson to the one who reads it.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I identify mostly with Rob's inner life––the anger, the doubts, the isolation, the shame, the fear––that the stories deal with. I can see a lot of myself in the "myths." That makes the "truths" the part of the power that draws me in.

Do I identify with a $3M deal going south? Running with the bulls? Driving a race car? No. But I do identify with being rattled into inaction, with taking small things personally, and with arrogance. That's what these stories really dealt with.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I haven’t yet been able to personally relate to any of the stories, but I think it’s still possible to learn something from at least a few of the author’s experiences.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html

Post by pinklover »

jaylperry wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 11:24 I identify mostly with Rob's inner life––the anger, the doubts, the isolation, the shame, the fear––that the stories deal with. I can see a lot of myself in the "myths." That makes the "truths" the part of the power that draws me in.

Do I identify with a $3M deal going south? Running with the bulls? Driving a race car? No. But I do identify with being rattled into inaction, with taking small things personally, and with arrogance. That's what these stories really dealt with.
I like your idea. Rob's character like anger, doubts, isolation, shame, fear and etc. are just a mirror in our world today. All people have this kind of feelings when trigger by something unusual. I admire at him because he still included those items. :tiphat:
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

The matter of the old maid would resonate with me. This is a lady who was old enough to get married but had not managed to get a suitor. There are sometimes where we have been in similar situations, where you feel intimidated by the rest of the peers, who seem to have advanced in their own lives.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”