Which story did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Which story did you like best?

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

I really liked the first few chapters of the book, but if i had to single out one story i'd choose the 10th chapter "I Decided I Was Smarter Than I Thought I Was". I could really relate to this chapter. As a student myself i experience the internal conflict between wanting to be cool and go out all the time, and studying and getting good grades. All our success starts by believing in ourselves, believing that we're smarter than we think we are.
Debbie inspired Rob to leave teaching and start his life as an real estate agent.
Rob was initially afraid of financial failure. So small apartments that didn't reflect his paychecks were the way to go. After deciding to go into real estate he looked for a mentor. Paul was the perfect figure for a mentor, he reminds me of my dad. We shouldn't be afraid of our own successes, and sometimes we should take our much needed break. (we may or may not meet our other half!)
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 12:51 I really liked the first few chapters of the book, but if i had to single out one story i'd choose the 10th chapter "I Decided I Was Smarter Than I Thought I Was". I could really relate to this chapter. As a student myself i experience the internal conflict between wanting to be cool and go out all the time, and studying and getting good grades. All our success starts by believing in ourselves, believing that we're smarter than we think we are.
Debbie inspired Rob to leave teaching and start his life as an real estate agent.
Rob was initially afraid of financial failure. So small apartments that didn't reflect his paychecks were the way to go. After deciding to go into real estate he looked for a mentor. Paul was the perfect figure for a mentor, he reminds me of my dad. We shouldn't be afraid of our own successes, and sometimes we should take our much needed break. (we may or may not meet our other half!)
Exactly! I can relate to your story. "I Decided I Was Smarter Than I Thought I Was". This phrase makes me realize that there are people ahead of me who are smarter than me. Sometimes. it is hard to accept the truth because of my own ego.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I actually had two favorite stories. The first was when the author gave the woman $10 to replace the money the other man in the grocery line tried to steal. I liked the fact that the author did not call out the other man, which gave him the chance to reconsider his impulsive action. The second story I liked was when the author passed along the advice to Jose that he received from Rose Kennedy.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

All of them seem interesting to me. I would not know to choose the best of them all.
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Kenko Betty »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:53 My favorite was the very first chapter. I thought the story of his aunt Theresa, and the impact it had in his later life, was very personal and had a really important message. Which one did you like the best?
I couldn't agree more with you. The story was deeply personal and enriching. That level of selflessness is rarity today. I almost cried at the mention of her death.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I think I actually got the most out of the story of Rob White's disastrous public performance in front of 15,000 people, where he ended up running offstage in humiliation. It really struck a chord with me about authenticity and how much I try to look better than I really am. It signals to me a deep-seated self-dissatisfaction and fear that others will not accept me for who I am. But does the facade fool anyone? Am I afraid for no good reason?
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

jaylperry wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 13:39 I think I actually got the most out of the story of Rob White's disastrous public performance in front of 15,000 people, where he ended up running offstage in humiliation. It really struck a chord with me about authenticity and how much I try to look better than I really am. It signals to me a deep-seated self-dissatisfaction and fear that others will not accept me for who I am. But does the facade fool anyone? Am I afraid for no good reason?
Nice observation. This story made me remember when I decided to withdraw my first assingment. It is hard to accept, It is a very long process to recover but I conquer my fears. I am a bit sad on this part.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

My favorite story has to be Chapter 9 - "Craving a lilac mint". Awesome! I found it extremely inspiring!
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by NeonKay »

Sincerely wrote: 03 Jan 2018, 07:26 All of Rob's stories were remarkable, but if am to choose one that spoke deeper to me, was the earthquake story.Having invested a fortune on the estate amd then to lose all of it within a snap of fimger is devastating, however Rob rises up again to the real esatate developer he always was.
I agree with you here. This one too is my favorite. To rise again from the loss you have invested so much is such a great courage that is important to reflect on. But the main character's greatness and tolerance against big challenges is clearly a tribute to the influence circulated around his childhood.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I had a few that I really liked. I enjoyed the chapter about his aunt, the chapter about the janitor and the final one about Peter and deciding not to die. The characters of his aunt and the janitor were great and I loved the lesson in the last chapter
daratega11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daratega11.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by daratega11 »

To me, all Rob's stories were captivating. I just love the way he applied each lesson he learnt from those gurus to other people he met in life. The story of the Massai mother drew me to tears. But, the one that captivated me the most is the story of the deer. I could feel the author's love for the animal even when he knew he could be in trouble.
Annogor
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogor.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Annogor »

Shakespare in my pocket was a very funny one. The lecturer was not as evil as he though. Of all the places to be, shakespare was in his left ass pocket
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

The Aunt Theresa story and the one about cheating in exams felt the most powerful to me. I liked the others, but those two had an impact.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

I enjoyed the first part of the story about the white deer, also. The second part was alright, but I feel like the first part could function on its own. This is one of the only points in the book that I identified with the author, being a scared kid in real danger and all.
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

Picking a favorite out of such well written stories is challenging but I would say that the one about his Aunt Theresa really pulls at the heartstrings.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”