Which story did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Which story did you like best?

Post by melissy370 »

As some others have said, my favorite was Aunt Theresa. I liked how she made a kid feel special at her own expense. Plus I can relate to her because one could consider me as an old maid as well 😄. I have to pay homage to her.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I feel like Peter's story really stuck with me for some reason as did the story about the penny and the candy. If I had to choose, I think I'd probably pick the candy one. It's just kind of beautiful that the stranger didn't call him out on what he'd done but took care of the mildly egregious act in a way that would draw attention to the problem with what he'd done. I think it's great that White was able to learn from it in the way he did, though, cause I'd honestly be afraid that some kids just wouldn't react that way and would see it kind of as an adult bailing them out and expect it more often.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Most of the stories resonated with me. But if I'm forced to pick, I'd choose Aunt Theresa's story. It's simple. It's touching. It's unforgettable. It's how we all should love.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I agree with you. It's still the first chapter since he was relating a moment that happened when he was a child. His self-centeredness was still forgivable at this point, something that became less tolerable with the later chapters.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

Aunt Theresa was very inspirational. I have to agree about the deer though. It is so important for us to respect all life and to stand up for what is right, which can be a hard thing to do at times.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Post by Scrawling Pen »

Although all the stories had great lessons, my favorite would probably be "The Great Vitim's Candy Caper" because of the full circle that the story took. The response of the unnamed man when Rob stole the piece of candy as a child was very important. In the end, Rob adopted his response when he was older. It seems like he was even able to pass the lesson on himself.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

fergie wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 09:40 I liked the childhood chapters best. I think my favourite one was him stealing a penny sweet in the store, and a stranger putting in the penny for him. Then how that translated later into him paying $10 towards an old woman's shopping, when he knows fine well she dropped it and the guy behind him has his foot on it. Those both came across to me like exactly the kind of small and random acts of kindness people can be quietly shown up by and learn from. Some of the later ones, where it's all about business success and money I found were more traditional self help books and so rung a little less true for me.
I like the idea of this having less traditional "self help" aspects to it. Planning to read this soon!
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 08:53 My favorite was the very first chapter. I thought the story of his aunt Theresa, and the impact it had in his later life, was very personal and had a really important message. Which one did you like the best?
The first chapter was one of my favourites too as it really touched my heart. However I think my favourite was Chapter 7 with his teacher Dr Tucker. 'You can use your brain correctly or you can use it to destroy you. As I'm currently studying for exams, I felt that his advice was directly aimed at me and, as such, makes this my favourite chapter.
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Post by Kathryn Price »

My favorite was the story about the professor who gave him a second chance when he was caught cheating. It teaches two lessons - the importance of mercy and giving second chances and the encouragement that hard work pays off without needing to cheat. Both of these are very important for everyone to learn.
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

My favorite was, "It's Just Me." Rob had prepared so diligently for this presentation. Everything was in place - or so he thought! It is easy to empathize with his nerves beforehand and then the horrible feeling when his hairpiece came off. I admired his honesty in this chapter and the way he handled it.
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

Definitely the chapter with the deer. Very emotionaly but also a great life lesson. I was sceptical at first about the book, but the book is great and i enjoy it.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I loved Debbie's story. Her line, "How can I decide that I’m smarter that I think I am?" resonated with me as much as it did with the author. I've been realizing lately that my own perception of myself can limit me, and that chapter really drove it home.

Aunt Theresa's story seems to be a crowd favorite, and I'm right there with you guys. That's such an admirable way to live life.
PriyaRD
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD »

I liked aunt Theresa's story, we have many such characters in our life as well which go unrecognized for their act of kindness because of our ignorance.
One more story is the Deer story in "Standing Firm on Thin Ice" Chapter. Age doesn't matter to stand for the right thing.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I thought the first story about his aunt Theresa was the best. In it author showed us the depth a human being can have in all its kindness. It was the only story with such strong insight.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I liked the story about him and his dad in the soda shop. I can relate to just being content sipping soda with someone you admire and the small town charm of the soda shop.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”