Which story did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Which story did you like best?

Post by AliceofX »

My favorite was the very first chapter. I thought the story of his aunt Theresa, and the impact it had in his later life, was very personal and had a really important message. Which one did you like the best?
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I liked the story about the deer. It had a really good message about respecting all life and standing up for what you think is right.
jamiramontez
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamiramontez.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by jamiramontez »

I liked the story about the earthquake that damaged all of the housing that was in the process of being built. It caused him to nearly quit everything before realizing that he can come out of the hardship and still succeed. It was a great reminder that no matter how hard we fall, we can stand up if we are determined and we can succeed.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by akeseh »

I'm impressed about how the lecturer handled the case involving examination malpractices.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Each and every story had something to say, but what set me up to be touched is the first chapter how he paid tribute to his aunt which was very touching. This chapter is special because the book started out boring to me and this story changed my attitude which made me want to know more. This chapter pushed the right button in me. That's why I like this the most.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I liked the childhood chapters best. I think my favourite one was him stealing a penny sweet in the store, and a stranger putting in the penny for him. Then how that translated later into him paying $10 towards an old woman's shopping, when he knows fine well she dropped it and the guy behind him has his foot on it. Those both came across to me like exactly the kind of small and random acts of kindness people can be quietly shown up by and learn from. Some of the later ones, where it's all about business success and money I found were more traditional self help books and so rung a little less true for me.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
brian360
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by brian360 »

I liked the first chapter because the author paid tribute to his aunt Theresa
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I also liked the one about his Aunt Theresa, i thought it was very thought provoking.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz »

I really liked the chapters of his college life. As a college student, I see things like this happen to some of my classmates. I especially liked that a janitor, out of all people on a college campus, taught him to continue with his dreams since he missed his. It was a heartwarming read.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

I loved the story whereby Rob experiences a wardrobe malfunction while on stage speaking to a 15, 000 crowd of ppeople. It is a story on embracing our true identity and truly loving who we are. It is a hilarious story while at the same time delivering life's most important lesson :"A free man is free, because at some point in his life, he is willing to stop hiding and be himself." We can choose either to impress others and get the world applause or impress yourself and get the greatest reward which is inner applause
BiljanaH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55">Living With A Dead Language</a>
Currently Reading: Uncommon Type
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biljanah.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by BiljanaH »

It's hard for me to single out one story because I enjoyed the book, but here are my favourite ones: the one about aunt Theresa who taught him about kindness, then the one about how the professor handled Rob's cheating at the exam and taught him about integrity and how not to compromise it. I also enjoyed the one about the earthquake that confirmed us time and again how the only thing that counts is not that we fall but that we get up and never give up. At last, there is the story about Maasai mother that taught Rob and us about how limitless personal power can be.
nadiadeana
Currently Reading: All Those Things We Never Said
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiadeana.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by nadiadeana »

As a college student, I liked the story with his college years the most. It was somewhat relatable. The story about Aunt Theresa is a close second.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

All of Rob's stories were remarkable, but if am to choose one that spoke deeper to me, was the earthquake story.Having invested a fortune on the estate amd then to lose all of it within a snap of fimger is devastating, however Rob rises up again to the real esatate developer he always was.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

The most inspiring story for me is when the Author was tempted to Cheat for an exam and was caught by Dr Tucker. Instead of applying the standard rule to punish a "Cheater," Dr Tucker gave the best human approach to handle the situation. The author was given a chance to prove himself that he can pass the exam without the need of the Cheat sheet. And he did and got the B-plus. In the Bible this one scene reflect the story about Jesus Christ who did not condemn Mary Magdalene as Prostitute but said "Neither I condemn you, Go and Sin no more."
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

lavellan wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 14:03 I liked the story about the deer. It had a really good message about respecting all life and standing up for what you think is right.
Honestly, I think that one was my favorite too. Although as the author of this thread said, Aunt Theresa was a great influence as well. Still, the deer inspired me. I think that's when he first started to think about really being his own man...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”