Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kenko Betty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by Kenko Betty »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 11:29 I also had problems with the title. As I read the book I thought the story with Margaret would be the most important one. In the intro, he even says it turned his life around. Sure, it's what makes him realize how self-centered he was, but honestly, it was a letdown. I expected something a bit grander. The book's title seems very random.
. My thoughts exactly. I thought it would be the last story. I also thought it would be a really epic event. I guess it was for him. It just didn't feel that way for me.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Titles can pose quite a task to coming up with one, I think it was the most appropriate for the author because he admits it was the most significant in changing his life forever. It is not misleading in my opinion because it just shows the author wanted his audience to understand that it is the most influential story contributing to his current successes
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

babathoust wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 12:02 Titles can pose quite a task to coming up with one, I think it was the most appropriate for the author because he admits it was the most significant in changing his life forever. It is not misleading in my opinion because it just shows the author wanted his audience to understand that it is the most influential story contributing to his current successes
I agree. Regardless of whether or not we as readers find that particular story to be the most significant, the author did. Therefore, the title is appropriate for the author himself.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

I guess it is a bit misleading becaught it is a romance novel but I've found it is not. Though, the title is not bad at all. I undersatand that Margaret was Rob's turning point.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

eBookreviewer wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 14:23 The title is totally misleading. Maybe a title like "The gurus of our life", would be more appropriate.
I got your point!
"The gurus of our life" is also good but it look like you know the idea what is inside the book upon reading the reading because of the word 'guru'. To me, the title is just the perfect title to captures the reader's interest.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Ljmengies
Currently Reading: Lost in the Reflecting Pool
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljmengies.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Ljmengies »

britt13 wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 18:18 I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons.
I agree! This title meant the most to the author out of all the possibilities. Maybe it requires a second reading of the story introducing Margaret... who knows, there might be things we missed on the first read!
sammiereads
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads »

Not really but I guess it just depends on the person because I never really use the title to see what it is about. The title just makes me think of reasons why the author names it like that and that is the same as covers for me. Since I am a curious person, I just always ask questions.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Ljmengies wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 11:53
britt13 wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 18:18 I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons.
I agree! This title meant the most to the author out of all the possibilities. Maybe it requires a second reading of the story introducing Margaret... who knows, there might be things we missed on the first read!
I agree that the title was chosen because it meant something to the author.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

You are right. For me, I would say the genre of the book was a bit misleading indeed because I had mistaken it for romance before checking the genre and seeing it was nonfiction.

As for the title, I think something like 'The great encounters' or 'Life lessons' or even 'the gurus' would be a better way to put it. So, the readers would know what to expect and not think he met Margaret and she took his breath away and the fairy tale ending happened.
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

Interesting, I thought that I wanted to read this book but, just reading how this book sounds like its suppose to be a romance with a person named Margret but has more interesting stories than the main title. that is misleading and i wouldn't pick this book up at all.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

I don't mind the title in and of itself; the subtitle mentioning inspirations and gurus helps to differentiate it from a romance book. However, I do have a bit of a problem with him naming the book at Margaret specifically. That was one of my least favorite stories in the book and I also think that it's far from the most important interaction he had in his life.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

I don't mind the title in and of itself; the subtitle mentioning inspirations and gurus helps to differentiate it from a romance book. However, I do have a bit of a problem with him naming the book at Margaret specifically. That was one of my least favorite stories in the book and I also think that it's far from the most important interaction he had in his life.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think the title is curious enough that it will make someone pick up the book and read the back cover. Isn't that the goal of any title?
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

One is tempted to think that the book is more of romance. I don't think that the book title is appropriate, even if it was to credit the only person that made him change his thinking perspective.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I did not like the title after i read the book. It was misleading and for me, it did not do the content of this book justice. it may actually put off a few potential readers.

My suggested titles will be:
1. Nuggets for Success in Life
2. Viewing life from a wholesome perspective
3. Myths for success in life...

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”