Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Post Reply
User avatar
Al Chakauya
Posts: 143
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 04:29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Is the book title misleading?

Post by Al Chakauya » 01 Jan 2018, 08:24

What title would best suit the book?
Would changing the book title help the reader choose a book suitable for them?

Personally,I feel the book title is rather
misleading. My opinion is that it was criminal of Rob to give such a title to his book- the book title reflects a romance novel. If it wasn't listed in the non-fiction genre, I wouldn't have picked it.

User avatar
AliceofX
Posts: 214
Joined: 27 Feb 2017, 06:01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by AliceofX » 01 Jan 2018, 11:29

I also had problems with the title. As I read the book I thought the story with Margaret would be the most important one. In the intro, he even says it turned his life around. Sure, it's what makes him realize how self-centered he was, but honestly, it was a letdown. I expected something a bit grander. The book's title seems very random.

User avatar
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 3604
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: "Milky Way Rising" by Sharon Keller Johnson

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Jan 2018, 12:46

I don't think it's necessarily indicative of a romance novel. I didn't get that idea from the title at all. I don't think it's a bad title.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
Al Chakauya
Posts: 143
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 04:29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Al Chakauya » 01 Jan 2018, 13:17

kandscreeley wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 12:46
I don't think it's necessarily indicative of a romance novel. I didn't get that idea from the title at all. I don't think it's a bad title.
Fo me, the story with Margaret didn't sound to be the most important one to "take" the book title. Any other story would've nailed it to be the book title for me but Margeret! Really?

User avatar
Al Chakauya
Posts: 143
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 04:29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Al Chakauya » 01 Jan 2018, 13:25

Al Chakauya wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 13:17
kandscreeley wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 12:46
I don't think it's necessarily indicative of a romance novel. I didn't get that idea from the title at all. I don't think it's a bad title.
Fo me, the story with Margaret didn't sound to be the most important one to "take" the book title. Any other story would've nailed it to be the book title for me but Margeret! Really?
And Then I Met The Maasai Mother, would have been a better title for me because the story sounded grandeur to me.

User avatar
Al Chakauya
Posts: 143
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 04:29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Al Chakauya » 01 Jan 2018, 13:29

AliceofX wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 11:29
I also had problems with the title. As I read the book I thought the story with Margaret would be the most important one. In the intro, he even says it turned his life around. Sure, it's what makes him realize how self-centered he was, but honestly, it was a letdown. I expected something a bit grander. The book's title seems very random.
I totally agree with this. I thought the Maasai mother's story was more convincing and had a more powerful theme than Margaret's story.

User avatar
lavellan
Posts: 63
Joined: 25 Dec 2017, 17:40
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by lavellan » 01 Jan 2018, 14:02

Al Chakauya wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 13:29
AliceofX wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 11:29
I also had problems with the title. As I read the book I thought the story with Margaret would be the most important one. In the intro, he even says it turned his life around. Sure, it's what makes him realize how self-centered he was, but honestly, it was a letdown. I expected something a bit grander. The book's title seems very random.
I totally agree with this. I thought the Maasai mother's story was more convincing and had a more powerful theme than Margaret's story.
I agree as well. Margaret’s story was very underwhelming. I thought that the stories toward the beginning of the book like the one about the deer were more meaningful.

User avatar
MsTri
Posts: 443
Joined: 02 Jul 2017, 12:56
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: "The Haunted Painting on the Wall" by Devika A. Rosamund
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by MsTri » 01 Jan 2018, 14:56

I haven't read this - nor do I think I will - but I did want to comment that it's a real downer when the title doesn't sufficiently convey what a book's about. I'm glad you were all able to like it despite the misnomer.

akeseh
Posts: 153
Joined: 24 Jul 2017, 17:15
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Location: Ghana

Post by akeseh » 01 Jan 2018, 17:25

The title is misleading because it talks about the autobiography of the author

User avatar
britt13
Posts: 63
Joined: 04 Nov 2017, 21:19
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Location: New York City

Post by britt13 » 01 Jan 2018, 18:18

I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons. While to some it may seem misleading, others find a connection to it. I do not know that this title seemed very strange to me at all, in fact I actually liked it. It would be interesting to know why it was chosen though since it does seem that some readers have issue with it.

Sabina G
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 Jun 2017, 05:16
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G » 01 Jan 2018, 22:29

Yes. I have just read the review and I expected to encounter a romance novel because of the title. It didn't dissapoint me because romance novels are not my cup of tea, but still, a bit misleading.

User avatar
PriyaRD
Posts: 30
Joined: 17 Nov 2017, 09:36
2018 Reading Goal: 36
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by PriyaRD » 01 Jan 2018, 23:32

Just reading the title “And then I met Margret” can mislead.. but the below description “Stories of Personal Transformation” can tell what is the book about. I am yet to read it, but will prefer reading as most of the rating given is 4.

User avatar
Sahani Nimandra
Posts: 214
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 22:49
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: Emotional Intelligence
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Location: Sri Lanka

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 02 Jan 2018, 02:02

Actually a big NO! The author pushed my "curiosity" button, like "why did he name the book after her?" But after he justified his reasons, I was very pleased with his answer. For me the author seemed to have used a continuous approach "... and then I met Margaret". The "and then" this expressed to me out of all people this particular person is "special", that he knew she had "hit him on the right spot" which as a result he dedicated the book to her. Actually yes she taught him a very important lesson for life.
" The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without been lost. The true heart can tough the poison of hatred without been harmed...since beginning-less time, darkness tribes in the void, but always yields to purifying light"

User avatar
Leyla
Posts: 143
Joined: 29 Jun 2017, 11:32
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by Leyla » 02 Jan 2018, 03:27

The title led me to believe that there was romance in the novel. Very disappointing.

User avatar
Vickie Noel
Posts: 405
Joined: 30 Jun 2017, 04:46
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: Are you afraid of the dark
Currently Reading: Something About Ann
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO
Location: Wandering in and out of great reads

Post by Vickie Noel » 02 Jan 2018, 03:58

MsTri wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 14:56
I haven't read this - nor do I think I will - but I did want to comment that it's a real downer when the title doesn't sufficiently convey what a book's about. I'm glad you were all able to like it despite the misnomer.
I agree with you, MsTri. Personally, I believe a title has to expressly signify most of the content of any creative writing, if possible, be present in the work itself. That certainly takes quite a lot of mental power, especially if it doesn't come straight to you and you've got to ponder over it. Sad to say, I feel authors take the easy way out when a book title appears random from its contents.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”