Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by Julehart1 »

I think the title could be considered misleading but it also makes sense. Margaret changed the author's view on himself and what success meant to him. She taught him a very valuable lesson and he considered it the most important lesson of all.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I trust that the author put a great deal of time and thought into selecting the title. The story of Margaret-in and of itself-may appear underwhelming, but the author is directly telling us how important her role was in his life as a whole. What he learned through his encounter with her left the most profound impact on him personally. I believe it's an invitation to look deeper; sometimes the simplest things can be the most significant.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

britt13 wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 18:18
I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons. While to some it may seem misleading, others find a connection to it. I do not know that this title seemed very strange to me at all, in fact I actually liked it. It would be interesting to know why it was chosen though since it does seem that some readers have issue with it.
I have the impression that very often it is the publisher and not the author who gets final say in the book title. I have heard of authors who were outraged by titles they didn't feel conveyed their message or that sounded wrong. I can imagine how frustrating it would be to not be in control of the first impression people have of your work!

It seems like it would have been better to choose a title that encompasses the connection of the various stories.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

The title doesn't do the book justice. I believe a better title is due to this book. And quite frankly yes the title is misleading. I originally pegged it for a contemporary romance.
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

I also picked the book because I thought it was a romance novel and then I read it's description and found out it is a non fiction. It was very disappointing for me. Yes I completely agree the title of the book is misleading.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
Omoye+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omoye.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Omoye+ »

I just read the review and yes, the book title is misleading. Something like " follow your dreams" would have been a better title I think.
shraddharm
Favorite Book: Beyond embarrasment
Currently Reading: The Disembodied
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shraddharm.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by shraddharm »

I found the book title misleading. I thought that this book would be some kind of love story of the writer or from the writer's imagination but it wasn't.
-R
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

Criticizing a title can be constructive but not all writers have a direct form of expressing the title. It could be what the author cared about most of his writing.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I too was rather shocked to find out that instead of a romantic novel, it was a book based on the many diverse issues that life offers and solutions to these issues. Overall though, the valuable contents prove justifiable.
morenikeji100
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by morenikeji100 »

I haven't read it though, but I don't think it's my type, judging from the title. However it might be wrong sometimes to judge a book by it's title, I might read it someday.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I never even thought that this title would suggest that it is a romance novel. It could suggest a murder, or an encounter with someone of any age that had any kind of influence in the story, whether it be spiritual or emotional. I think it can be very insightful to find out why the author chose a particular title. It may enlighten the reader as to hidden themes, lessons, or clues to other parts of the story that a reader may miss based on different personal experiences.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

britt13 wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 18:18 I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons. While to some it may seem misleading, others find a connection to it. I do not know that this title seemed very strange to me at all, in fact I actually liked it. It would be interesting to know why it was chosen though since it does seem that some readers have issue with it.

True every author has a reason of choosing a particular topic. Even if it may seem to be carrying less weight about the book's contents, they have already thinked about it.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

It comes across as a romance boy met girl type novel based on the title. They could have perhaps used a subtitle saying "a collection of stories" or something like that.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I didn't find the book to be misleading at all
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

The title is misleading...It led me think of someone was lost and now ,she is found.I thought of romantic love when Margaret is met.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”