Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by R-Myra »

When I first heard about this book, I thought it would be a romance or fiction novel. So I was a little disappointed by the title. I think the book title is misleading.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I think the title is misleading because the theme doesn't revolve around Margaret's story.
mingyums
Currently Reading: Sweet Mandarin
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mingyums.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by mingyums »

I agree with most of what's been expressed already. I felt that the title really hyped the character of Margaret up and made me feel she'd be the most pivotal character. While I enjoyed it anyway, there's always a bit of a let down when the title is misleading. I didn't expect romance from the title however but I can see why someone would expect that from it.
JavaDaBud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javadabud.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by JavaDaBud »

Even though I liked the book, I still think that the title needs an improvement. Margaret wasn't what you would call a "main character", and the title gives the impression of a romance novel. Thus, I'd say the title is pretty much misleading.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1880
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The title of the book is a good point of reflection!
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

And Then I Met Margaret does have a slight misleading aspect. I, like many readers, assumed the novel was centrally romantic, and was surprised when I discovered it to not be so. However, the title doesn't directly imply romance. It could also be inferred that the protagonist discovered something or changed his way of looking at certain things upon encountering something or someone the 'Margaret' perhaps not even a person, which is the general vein of the book.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The title is not really that eschewed from the story. The gist of the "Margaret episode" is that we sometimes do things so eagerly with so much gusto for other people that we overlook the real need and desire of those we try to help. Rob is bent on elucidating to the teens the principles of good business practice when all that Margaret was interested in is the opinion about her red dress. So, in effect, we might have been rescuing a fish from the water.
drei97
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drei97.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by drei97 »

In my opinion, the title does not necessarily suggests a romantic plot. But yes, I agree that it is misleading. It gives the implication that "Margaret" is the most important character in the narrative. It was as if things were not going well for the author, and then he meets this "Margaret" and suddenly everything turned better. The title suggests that the girl in the name of Margaret was the major twist in the tale when she turns out to be just like all the other "unexpected gurus". Not that she was unimportant, but the part of the book intended for her was relatively shallow and fast-paced.
JPbrar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpbrar.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by JPbrar »

I don't believe so. I think the title cues the reader to look at the lesson taught by Margaret with a keener eye. After some reflection, you begin to understand that Margaret serves to bring the book "full-circle,'" as her lesson of selflessness was one of the first ones taught to the author by his Aunt.
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

I don't think the title is appropriate as the Margaret story didn't have as much impact on the writer's life as some of his other stories did. I was disappointed when I read this chapter. I have also mentioned this point in my review of the book. Feel free to take a look and leave some feedback. :)
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I beg to differ. These kind of titles that don't betray what's inside the book are the best. Also, the readers can't be fooled as they will read the blurb on the back cover of a paper book or the summary of an ebook before going for it anway.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
bijyu
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bijyu.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by bijyu »

It is a bit misleading because it makes you expect a romance novel but I don't think it's a bad title.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

I agree with most that the title is misleading. While I don't think it necessarily screams romance novel, it does make it sound like Margaret is the person who really impacted his life but that isn't what I found. A better title could've related to the whole idea of ordinary gurus. Maybe something along the lines of the Seven People You Meet in Heaven book.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

The title "And Then I Met Margaret" is misleading because everyone thinks this as a romance novel and Margaret is not even the main character in the novel.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The title did feel misleading to me. I thought it was a Christian book until I read the book descrption and review, then I wasn't so sure anymore. It wasn't until I read the book itself, that I realised that it wasn't a book about salvation or redemption but one about self discovery and realisation.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”