Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Post Reply
eBookreviewer
Posts: 82
Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 17:29
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by eBookreviewer » 28 Jan 2018, 14:23

The title is totally misleading. Maybe a title like "The gurus of our life", would be more appropriate.

User avatar
cassyquan
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Jan 2018, 07:55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cassyquan » 29 Jan 2018, 00:56

Well i dont think its a bad title,maybe the curiosity of the title didnt go with the story but i got the whole picture.

User avatar
Chiara_fernando
Posts: 16
Joined: 23 Jan 2018, 03:53
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiara-fernando.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Location: Bulacan, Philippines

Post by Chiara_fernando » 29 Jan 2018, 03:59

The title is the main reason why I picked this book. Yes, I'm a bit disappointed and never expected Margaret that way (although, their encounter was cute). After reading the book, I concluded that perhaps that's title because 'Margaret' ryhmes with the word met. I don't see any other justification.
I agree that the title is misleading.

Kenko Betty
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Jan 2018, 05:38
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Location: Buea, Cameroon.

Post by Kenko Betty » 29 Jan 2018, 11:43

AliceofX wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 11:29
I also had problems with the title. As I read the book I thought the story with Margaret would be the most important one. In the intro, he even says it turned his life around. Sure, it's what makes him realize how self-centered he was, but honestly, it was a letdown. I expected something a bit grander. The book's title seems very random.
. My thoughts exactly. I thought it would be the last story. I also thought it would be a really epic event. I guess it was for him. It just didn't feel that way for me.

User avatar
babathoust
Posts: 64
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 03:39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babathoust.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by babathoust » 29 Jan 2018, 12:02

Titles can pose quite a task to coming up with one, I think it was the most appropriate for the author because he admits it was the most significant in changing his life forever. It is not misleading in my opinion because it just shows the author wanted his audience to understand that it is the most influential story contributing to his current successes

User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1111
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 29 Jan 2018, 22:12

babathoust wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 12:02
Titles can pose quite a task to coming up with one, I think it was the most appropriate for the author because he admits it was the most significant in changing his life forever. It is not misleading in my opinion because it just shows the author wanted his audience to understand that it is the most influential story contributing to his current successes
I agree. Regardless of whether or not we as readers find that particular story to be the most significant, the author did. Therefore, the title is appropriate for the author himself.

User avatar
prinjeh18
Posts: 47
Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 00:26
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 » 30 Jan 2018, 00:10

I guess it is a bit misleading becaught it is a romance novel but I've found it is not. Though, the title is not bad at all. I undersatand that Margaret was Rob's turning point.

User avatar
pinklover
Posts: 359
Joined: 29 Nov 2017, 20:30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry
Location: Philippines

Post by pinklover » 30 Jan 2018, 01:40

eBookreviewer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 14:23
The title is totally misleading. Maybe a title like "The gurus of our life", would be more appropriate.
I got your point!
"The gurus of our life" is also good but it look like you know the idea what is inside the book upon reading the reading because of the word 'guru'. To me, the title is just the perfect title to captures the reader's interest.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

User avatar
Ljmengies
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Jan 2018, 07:16
Currently Reading: Lost in the Reflecting Pool
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljmengies.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Ljmengies » 30 Jan 2018, 11:53

britt13 wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 18:18
I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons.
I agree! This title meant the most to the author out of all the possibilities. Maybe it requires a second reading of the story introducing Margaret... who knows, there might be things we missed on the first read!

User avatar
sammiereads
Posts: 15
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 15:09
2018 Reading Goal: 300
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Truthwitch
Bookshelf Size: 546

Post by sammiereads » 30 Jan 2018, 12:34

Not really but I guess it just depends on the person because I never really use the title to see what it is about. The title just makes me think of reasons why the author names it like that and that is the same as covers for me. Since I am a curious person, I just always ask questions.

User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1111
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 30 Jan 2018, 16:15

Ljmengies wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 11:53
britt13 wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 18:18
I think authors pick titles for very specific reasons.
I agree! This title meant the most to the author out of all the possibilities. Maybe it requires a second reading of the story introducing Margaret... who knows, there might be things we missed on the first read!
I agree that the title was chosen because it meant something to the author.

User avatar
Hephzi Lolami
Posts: 86
Joined: 05 Jan 2018, 04:26
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Location: Africa

Post by Hephzi Lolami » 30 Jan 2018, 20:54

You are right. For me, I would say the genre of the book was a bit misleading indeed because I had mistaken it for romance before checking the genre and seeing it was nonfiction.

As for the title, I think something like 'The great encounters' or 'Life lessons' or even 'the gurus' would be a better way to put it. So, the readers would know what to expect and not think he met Margaret and she took his breath away and the fairy tale ending happened.

User avatar
Lovewreading89
Posts: 57
Joined: 21 Jan 2018, 20:51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 » 01 Feb 2018, 21:05

Interesting, I thought that I wanted to read this book but, just reading how this book sounds like its suppose to be a romance with a person named Margret but has more interesting stories than the main title. that is misleading and i wouldn't pick this book up at all.

Strongbob25
Posts: 36
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 04:13
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Location: Iran

Post by Strongbob25 » 03 Feb 2018, 14:56

I don't mind the title in and of itself; the subtitle mentioning inspirations and gurus helps to differentiate it from a romance book. However, I do have a bit of a problem with him naming the book at Margaret specifically. That was one of my least favorite stories in the book and I also think that it's far from the most important interaction he had in his life.

Strongbob25
Posts: 36
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 04:13
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Location: Iran

Post by Strongbob25 » 03 Feb 2018, 14:56

I don't mind the title in and of itself; the subtitle mentioning inspirations and gurus helps to differentiate it from a romance book. However, I do have a bit of a problem with him naming the book at Margaret specifically. That was one of my least favorite stories in the book and I also think that it's far from the most important interaction he had in his life.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”