Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I could see how one would interpret the title to mean it was a romance novel, but I wouldn't necessarily call it misleading.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I've kind of had second thoughts. I said before I hadn't thought about it, but it being mentioned here made me question it, as Margaret wasn't the most important story. But thinking about it, I don't think that matters at all. The subtitle makes it totally clear what the book's about, and I think the character chosen is unimportant. The point is, it could have been any of them, but Margaret probably just scanned best. I did first think it was a romance too, but the "stories of transformation" makes it clear what it is. So I think I kind of like the title.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

When I read the book title, I thought it was a romance novel. It makes it sound like a love story for sure. A change of title might attract more readers.
mommynorthrop08
Currently Reading: Beast house
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by mommynorthrop08 »

Title is misleading. Book not at all what I thought. Cover pic also misleading.
kjoan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3033">The Lost Symbol</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjoan.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kjoan »

Perhaps the author was trying to avoid common and already cliched titles such as 'How to be the best' or 'How to be successful' but then he went completely away from the content in his book. It would help self-help readers find it better if it didn't have the feel of a romance novel.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

When I first saw the cover and read the title, I thought the book was about a journey in which someone meets a woman who changes their life. However, I thought it was a pretty and eye-catching cover and an interesting title.

After I read the synopsis of the book, I realized Margaret was someone who changed the author’s life.

After I read the book, I completely understood why he chose the title. A little girl named Margaret unexpectedly taught him that he had become an arrogant and self-centered man. I think his point was to show the reader how a simple comment by a little girl taught him the biggest lesson of his life. After that incident was that he decided to change from within.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Post by MaryBurris »

I think the title is a bit misleading. I kept waiting to read about this great and wondrous event about meeting Margaret, and it never came.
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I often think titles that cause confusion are an indication that the author was unable to portray what they had hoped. I think it's an easy assumption that the author DID put significant thought into their title choice and they thought the readers would eventually find that aha moment within the pages. There was likely some plan where the thought provoking theme comes forward at the book's end or after an interesting turn of events. This would hopefully highlight the significance of the obscure title choice.

The fact that we find so much discussion revolving around this title, makes clear that the author put more emphasis on said theme in their mind than they did on paper.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

In a book with so many "gurus" to learn from, it does seem slightly odd to focus entirely on only one in the title. I can also definitely see what you mean - if I was going through a list of book titles and saw "And Then I Met Margaret" I would 100% assume it was a romance novel.

On the other hand, the cover image makes it very clear that it's a nonfictional story. It's also a very catchy title, and hearing it immediately brings this specific book to mind.

There may have been other, better titles, sure, but overall I like it!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 02:02 Actually a big NO! The author pushed my "curiosity" button, like "why did he name the book after her?" But after he justified his reasons, I was very pleased with his answer. For me the author seemed to have used a continuous approach "... and then I met Margaret". The "and then" this expressed to me out of all people this particular person is "special", that he knew she had "hit him on the right spot" which as a result he dedicated the book to her. Actually yes she taught him a very important lesson for life.
I totally agree with you. The author, according to me, named it after the one person that touched him the most. Which can be different to each one of us, depending on our experiences in life. The book title is perfect.
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

MaryBurris wrote: 05 Jan 2018, 11:28 I think the title is a bit misleading. I kept waiting to read about this great and wondrous event about meeting Margaret, and it never came.
And I think that is where we are wrong. What changes someone doesn't necessarily have to be big and wondrous events.
bet22
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bet22.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by bet22 »

According to me the title of the book is a bit misleading, Margret’s story has a great lesson, but I felt the other stories had great lessons too. The title leads one to believe that the story is mostly centred around his encounters with Margret.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 14:56 I haven't read this - nor do I think I will - but I did want to comment that it's a real downer when the title doesn't sufficiently convey what a book's about. I'm glad you were all able to like it despite the misnomer.
I am sitting here thinking the exact same thing as you MsTri. I haven't read this book yet, but nothing that I have read about it so far really makes me want to make the effort. And the title, well...I glad others are liking the book, regardless of the title.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I think that the title does not really convey the content of the book. When I read the title, I thought it was a romance novel and so stayed away from it for a while. It was not until I read a review on it that I realised it was not romance and was non-fiction. I think that the front of this book is not very fitting.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

Extremely misleading!
I could understand cognitively why Rob White chose the title once the explanation was provided, but it is not a natural choice and does not assist potential readers when deciding whether or not to buy and read his book.

Alternate suggestion: And Then I Met My Ordinary Guru...

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”