Is the book title misleading?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Re: Is the book title misleading?

Post by onixpam »

While was reading the book I was waiting for Margaret, but this was not the strongest story in the book at least not for me. The title is misleading and does not shows what the book is really about.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I must confess that to some point this title is misleading. Personally I was mislead. I picked the book to review with the idea that it was a romance story. It's cover and the title intrigued me into picking it. Unfortunately, it wasn't what I thought it was but all the same I learnt great lessons from it. I learnt that even Margaret did have a large part to play in the book. She took part in only one story.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I thought the book title was very misleading. I thought the same as you that it was a romance novel it was only after reading the description and that it was non fiction that I realized it wasn’t.
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I agree that the title of this book is indeed misleading. I thought for sure this would be a romance novel and was bummed to find out that it was a self help book. I'm definitely more interested in the romance novel.
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

from the comments, I don't think I'm going to check it out. I like straight forward books
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I agree that at first, I thought it was a Romance novel. But after reading the review and description I realized that it was not. In the authors' introduction, he explained why he named the book about Margaret.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

I read And Then I Met Margaret knowing it was a collection of true stories, but I still feel like the title is inappropriate. Margaret's story seemed the least impactful of them all and the most like a complete stretch to find meaning in one sentence said by a small child.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I think the title makes it seem like the tale about Margaret is going to be of greater importance whereas it was only one of many stories.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Thought it was a romance novel. The title actually got my attention. The book is still very interesting.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I was confused from the title about what the book would be about, so I would say that while not necessarily misleading, I found that it lacked clarity and therefore lacked appeal. I was pleasantly surprised with the book, so the title perhaps does a disservice to the quality of the story.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

I think that the title was fitting for the author's perspective of importance. He even states himself that (I'm paraphrasing) Margaret had the most profound impact on him. I think the significance of Margaret could be easily transferred to the reader as well if the author chose to write about her in the last chapter, or if he continued to discuss how Margaret specifically changed him. Margaret's chapter wasn't much different from the rest of the people he wrote about, so I think that's why the title seems somewhat ill-suited.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

LV2R wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 21:47 I think the title And Then I Met Margaret and the book cover picture combined made me think that the book was mystical and possibly a strange book. I didn't think of romance at all. I thought it was another "guru". However, the author really explains his road to spiritual awareness through all his searches and meetings of many experts and gurus of spirituality in the introduction. Then, he shares many of his growing up experiences with normal average people who taught him some important lessons in life. I liked how he then paid it forward many times and used what he had learned to help others. After reading the book, the title makes sense and is fine with me. I can't think of a better title. Perhaps the subtitle Stories of Personal Transformation could be more prominent so that readers could notice it.
Talking about a transformation and his spiritual journey. I think the title if the book is misleading and would have made better sense with something else.
Namataa Like
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namataa-like.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Namataa Like »

:shifty: :(

The book title was indeed misleading because one would think the story is about Margret and how she helped him or didn’t help him. The title is truly misleading
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

Yes i agree that the title is kind of misleading since i thought it was a romance novel, but i still loved what it turned out to be .
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I think it's very misleading. Until I opened the book, I didn't think it was a self-help book.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”