Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "And Then I Met Margaret"

Post by jsparkleflower »

interesting. I have not yet read this book, but have read multiple perspectives above. I am interested in reading this book as it appears to be creating somewhat conflicting viewpoints. I will need to read it to see which views I agree with.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 15:01 I haven't read this, but 'Wow', @AliceofX; a self-help book that isn't very helpful, huh? And I know exactly what you mean. All my life, I've heard, "you can be anything you want to be", "follow your dreams", etc. Well, I can guarantee that I never intended to be poor and struggling all the time. Despite reaching reaching reeeeeeeeeeeaching and clamoring for my dreams, here I still am. I agree with you; sometimes life just doesn't give one the tools or opportunities one needs. It's all well and good to give the previous advice, but when so much of life depends on others, especially others in positions of power, what can one really do?
I agree with what you say. Destiny is never really in our hands. I believe all aspects of our lives are preordained by a higher power.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
lucy muritu
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by lucy muritu »

one of the best pieces i have read this year. guys you should try it out :D
jsparkleflower
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsparkleflower.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by jsparkleflower »

I have not read this book yet, however reading the many differing opinions and personal views I have become intrigued to consider reading it. The depth of the opposing views makes me interested in pursuing the book. Curiosity is getting the better of me.
Quithilion
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quithilion.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Quithilion »

I found this book to be amazing. Most self help book can be a little preachy, "do this" and "don't do that" etc. This one was written in a style that made me think the guy was sat across from me and telling me about his life.

I loved the part where he stood up to a cop with a gun just to protect a reindeer. This showed true courage, which I don't think I could exhibit in the same circumstances. There wasn't really any part I didn't like.

I'd definitely recommend this to everyone of my friends as I think there is a lot to be learned from within the pages.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

I often purchase self-help books, but rarely read them to the end. I often find the author is either condescending, and overinflated, or has "dumbed down" the conversation so much that I am equally insulted.
This book did not disappoint. I started it, but didn't read all the way through. The author's tone was very off-putting.
Either there is no help for me, or I don't need as much help as I thought. Until I write my own book and read the reviews, I don't think I will ever know for sure.
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 15:01 I haven't read this, but 'Wow', @AliceofX; a self-help book that isn't very helpful, huh? And I know exactly what you mean. All my life, I've heard, "you can be anything you want to be", "follow your dreams", etc. Well, I can guarantee that I never intended to be poor and struggling all the time. Despite reaching reaching reeeeeeeeeeeaching and clamoring for my dreams, here I still am. I agree with you; sometimes life just doesn't give one the tools or opportunities one needs. It's all well and good to give the previous advice, but when so much of life depends on others, especially others in positions of power, what can one really do?
This is a pretty powerful post. Maybe you should your own "self help" book for us all!
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

jsparkleflower wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 20:20 I have not read this book yet, however reading the many differing opinions and personal views I have become intrigued to consider reading it. The depth of the opposing views makes me interested in pursuing the book. Curiosity is getting the better of me.
Im curious about where the divided opinions are coming from as well. Might just have to take a look for myself
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I have not had the opportunity to read this book. I am not a huge fan of self-help books but this one sounds intriguing!
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I have not read this book yet, mainly because I do not usually like self-help books. I find that the ones I have attempted to read come off sounding "preachy" and tend to put a reader down for making "mistakes" according to whatever formula the book is trying to promote. In reading these posts, I find that a common remark made by several people refers to how arrogant the author seems. Given my experiences with self-help books and these comments, I doubt that I will read the book.
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

Rob definitely is an amazing writer. Not everyone looks at their problems in a different angle enough to see hope. The book was inspiring. Yes I may not be conversant with where he grew up, but I got the moral behind the story. To make it always believe you can even if everyone else has not made it.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I have just gone through this book and I must confess its awsome and inspirational. It is true there are no step by step guides on how to be successful. But his his use of myths and realities is just marvelous.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I haven't read this yet but based on the comments I will give it a try!
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I haven’t read this one, and judging from the comments I’m thinking I won’t. Self-help books don’t usually interest me in the first place, and comments about the author being arrogant and narcissistic in some chapters put me off even more.
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

JessNWheeler wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 13:48 After reading this book, do you look at the world differently, as the author promises?

I’m not sure that I now look at the world differently. I didn’t find this to be a life changing book, but I did enjoy the author’s storytelling.
Regardless of the life lessons he was hoping to teach, the author is a wise and talented storyteller.
His optimism and search for inner peace is, in it’s own way, somewhat inspirational in my opinion.
For me, (this being several months after reading the book), the biggest lesson or take away that I still try to pursue and maintain to this day. Is the lesson to maintain a teachable spirit. Learning to acquire something significant from all the people around me, great or small, relevant or irrelevant, literate or illiterate. Honestly, am becoming more open and appreciative of the interactions in my life.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”