How do you identify personally with this book?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
londonmartine
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: How do you identify personally with this book?

Post by londonmartine » 21 Mar 2018, 04:40

CommMayo wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 23:31
I grew up in a small, blue collar town where I judged success by a person's ability to leave and be more successful elsewhere. I went to college and graduate school and ended up back working in that town after the death of a parent. I felt like a failure for ending up back where I started. White really made me stop and reexamine that attitude.

Did any of his stories make you draw similarities to your own life and experiences? Did it make you think differently about your preconceived ideas or judgements?
Success is such a personal thing, related to how you perceive your life in comparison to others - or whether you think about it at all. This book sums up the personal journey - I think for most people the expectations they have for themselves change as they grow to adulthood.

rcarr13
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by rcarr13 » 28 Mar 2018, 10:53

I was actually the opposite of the original poster. I grew up in a large city where "success" was defined by a person's career and the money that they made. As the daughter of a single mother who was working and going to school at the time, I was made to feel like a complete failure and outsider by my peers. As a teen, I was able to move in with my dad in a much smaller town, and everything changed for me. I realized that relationships are more important than money and things, and found a place where I fit in. This book is a good reminder that lessons can be learned from any person or experience we encounter.

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 28 Mar 2018, 16:51

The contents of this book are aimed at character-building. I can see where my personality will be strengthened by the virtues taught in this book.

anix67
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anix67.html
Latest Review: Duped x3 Liars! (semibiographical memoir) by Alice-Rose Trent

Post by anix67 » 31 Mar 2018, 11:27

I personally really liked the message that came from not thinking about the black cat. I am a generally positive and energetic person and I try to pass that on to others. Whenever I found myself or others thinking negative, I try to acknowledge it and change the attitude

mamalui
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui » 22 May 2018, 12:10

Yes I do identify with the author on the fact that the success of a person starts with positive thoughts and outlook on life. It doesn't matter what the background of a person is, I have seen people stay in small towns and succeed in life without ever leaving. At the end of the day each to their own.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Islands of Faith - New Zealand by Randall R. and Linda Lee Ripplinger

Post by Jgideon » 02 Jun 2018, 00:01

Just like that author, I believe that the most important lessons in life are not from the conference halls of big hotels but are learned from our everyday life. We just have to have an open mind to pick up the lessons whenever we come across them.

CinWin
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Payers, Affirmations and Meditations
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: Prayers, Affirmations and Meditations by Rev. Cindy Paulos

Post by CinWin » 09 Jun 2018, 13:20

I wrote down every "myth" and "counter myth" at the beginning and end of each chapter. They make really good intentions to have posted around your house. I really loved and related to this whole book. He doesn't call it this, but it really was about the Law of Attraction.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: God of War, Ares
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown » 14 Jun 2018, 09:46

I personally take this book with a grain of salt. Some of his lessons were good, but some were just common sense things, or related to situations I could never imagine myself in (the racing car chapter, anyone?). The lessons are what they are, but I wish the stories hadn't progressively become less compelling as the book went on.

Shrabastee
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 135
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Shrabastee » 23 Jun 2018, 03:27

Since I was born in a city where pretty much everything is available and managed to get fairly good grades all my student life (success has so far been judged mostly by my academic qualifications), I did not exactly have the struggles the author had to deal with. But I have come across some scenarios in which his life experiences sounded relatable. For example, the one where he describes his college experiences- I have also struggled in a crowd of people who were supposedly from some upper class families or studying in famous schools. I used to feel intimidated, but then I managed to make my mark. Another one related to this situation is where the author urges us to believe we are smarter than we think we are- this actually works! Also, the stories which show us the power of honesty, kindness and forgiveness are something which I can relate to.

Disneyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneyland.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Disneyland » 11 Aug 2018, 19:12

Human evolution has been my cause of concern, in life! The book speaks about the unexpressed parts of our consciousness! The author's writing style is my future model!

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”