Are unmarried women still treated as outcasts in rural communities?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2018 Book of the Month, "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Re: Are unmarried women still treated as outcasts in rural communities?

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Yes, unmarried people are still considered social outcasts. And as much as I hate to say it, I do not think the discrimination is restricted only to rural, agrarian communities. Big cities, urban communities just have different ways of out-casting unmarried people. Apparently, when someone is unmarried, it cannot be out of choice. Something must be wrong with the woman! And its a shame that the situation still persists despite all sorts of social revolutions.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I guess it also depends on the country. I grew up in a rural village in the U.K. and it wasn't really seen as an issue if someone wasn't married. They definitely weren't outcasts.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

HanElizabeth397 wrote: 13 May 2020, 10:15 I guess it also depends on the country. I grew up in a rural village in the U.K. and it wasn't really seen as an issue if someone wasn't married. They definitely weren't outcasts.
I also agree with you, because even in the rural areas of my country, Sri Lanka, unmarried women are not treated as outcasts. So the issue seems differ from country to country.
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

The answer is yes. I live in India and here, the unmarried or divorced women are considered characterless and are not accepted by the society.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

I hate that this is even a thing! Women shouldn't be treated as outcasts and criminals when they have done nothing wrong. Being unmarried isn't a sin! Discriminating others for not living up to the social "standards" is! It reminds me of the story in the Bible where the Pharisees (or was it Sadducees?) brought a woman who had done something not socially correct before Jesus. They "asked" him what to do with her. In response, he said, "Whoever is without sin, let them throw the first stone." That kind of judgment isn't for people to deal out! What is wrong with this world!?
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think that unmarried women in rural areas are treated as an outcast, because life in such areas is primarily associated with some kind of manual labor (agriculture, forestry, mining, ...). That is why women are expected to be housewives and mothers.
Small amal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Small amal »

It's not a secret. From where I come, unmarried women are seen as the cause of I'll behaviours in the society. All the worst nicknames are usually given to them. Some members of the society also don't allow children and young girls to go close to them. It's so fraustrating to be an unmarried woman no matter what the reason is. It's so unfortunate how people judge unmarried women.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Well, I know that in some African societies, unmarried women are treated as outcasts, and some aren't even allowed to buy any land. They are also really stigmatized and disrespected, like being married is an achievement or a measure of their value. You can find many books on issues like this, written by various African writers. An example is Second Class Citizen by Buchi Emecheta.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

Yes I agree , because in some rural communities not getting married at a certain age can be a problem, lots of stigmatization and criticism sets in,some are called barren some cursed, is just so traumatizing.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Am Nigerian; born and bread in Abuja. Being a middle-aged lady who's unmarried is a big blow even in the metropolis, let alone in villages. Such women are first considered prostitutes; especially when they are doing great in their careers, or businesses. In most cases they are labeled demon-possessed, or bad- mannerd, and are verbally abused at the slightest provocation. In social meetings, he opinions of an unmarried lady is not as valuable as those of a married woman. Things like this happen until, the victims accepts the label the society has placed on them.

Return to “Discuss "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White”