compare Harry Potter and End Of The Last Great Kingdom as magic fantacies

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Ambreen Haqdad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambreen-haqdad.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

compare Harry Potter and End Of The Last Great Kingdom as magic fantacies

Post by Ambreen Haqdad »

If one has read all Parts of "Harry Potter", "End of The Last Great Kingdom" seems a bit of less original and more inspired from that book series. Though this book has its own vivid scenes , like the battle scene , vivid characters, romance and a sweet "unending" ending. Yet one gets a feeling that the writer was much inspired by that series and many times you feel you know what to come and its already there in literature. it seems a bit conventional.

well, everyone has a right to differ. I would like your views
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I disagree. I think there are similarities, but many, many more differences. I think this book is definetly unique.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I think the similarities are fairly minor. The ages of the main characters are similar, and both tales include elements of magic. Other than that, I find the stories to be quite different, and I feel that both are unique.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Christina Rose wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 07:44 I think the similarities are fairly minor. The ages of the main characters are similar, and both tales include elements of magic. Other than that, I find the stories to be quite different, and I feel that both are unique.
I agree. Harry Potter takes us through each and every year. We come in basically in the middle of brimstone's training. Though, he is just starting to realize who he is.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ambreen Haqdad
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambreen-haqdad.html

Post by Ambreen Haqdad »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 10:47
Christina Rose wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 07:44 I think the similarities are fairly minor. The ages of the main characters are similar, and both tales include elements of magic. Other than that, I find the stories to be quite different, and I feel that both are unique.
I agree. Harry Potter takes us through each and every year. We come in basically in the middle of brimstone's training. Though, he is just starting to realize who he is.
The training it self, the magic , the battle..... I feel it similar..... a bit predictable even. Yes there is something unique , but Harry potter is a complete series and this is just the first book . May be it's too early to judge .well I hope the writer may surprise us with a different kind of series.
qkhunttenbeurg
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by qkhunttenbeurg »

The elementary subject in these two evilic movies is typically conspiracy of magic and most writers portray Harvard school of wizardry. But as times goes on we shall here from the writer himself explaining the real difference.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I think both of these fantasy reads are hard to be be compares to each other, since they seemed to have a lot in common....both fantasy, and are well produced( to name a few).
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

They are similar in many ways. More of two sides to one coin. So for example the fantasy and magic, the elements they have to fight are similar but different in perspective.
Alashhar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alashhar.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Alashhar »

Yes.... totally agree... it has the same scenario of a prodigy child who lost his family and got through a life of misery.
I believe that the author of this book intends to turn the novel into film series as Harry Potter.
Humamazhar2018
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Humamazhar2018 »

Both the novels are literally seems similar but they are very different and incomparable. I am the biggest fan of J K Rowling since childhood.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Palfree »

There are definite similarities between the two books. The main characters are young but face great challenges. Due to the challenges each character faces, both Brimstone and Harry become leaders among their peers.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

All authors pull inspiration from where but I think this book stands alone and is unique.
nadiadeana
Currently Reading: All Those Things We Never Said
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiadeana.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by nadiadeana »

Though its similar in some aspects, i think its too soon to judge and quite minor. There has only been one book.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This is such an interesting thread! I think there are commen elements throughout a lot of fantasy books. When I first read Harry Potter, I thought, "This is just like The Worst Witch!" (A book series that came out in the seventies about a young girl who finds out she's a witch and gets to attend a school of witchcraft.) As I've continued to read fantasy novels, I find that there is a lot of crossover throughout the genre because of our general beliefs about and understanding of magic. To me, it's a lot like gothic fiction. You're going to have a lot of similarities in books about vampires because there are certain things that we all accept to be "true" about vampires (i.e. they can't be in the sun, they suck blood, they're immortal, etc.).
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

With this discussion going on, and the author might have-- in a high probability -- read all that was said here, and will be forewarned to make all the necessary efforts to make his novel run differently from that of J. K. Rowlings. He has still the succeeding sequels on which to effect the dissimilarities.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”