compare Harry Potter and End Of The Last Great Kingdom as magic fantacies

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Re: compare Harry Potter and End Of The Last Great Kingdom as magic fantacies

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I don't think they can be compared, except with regards to how well the storytelling was and character development. I don't see any resemblance or even got a HP feeling at all. And I have read all the books, multiple times. Even if inspiration was drawn from HP for this series, it does not show to me at all.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

This book is different and although it has some similarities, it has nothing to do with Harry Potter. :techie-studyinggray:
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

amybo82 wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:46 This is such an interesting thread! I think there are commen elements throughout a lot of fantasy books. When I first read Harry Potter, I thought, "This is just like The Worst Witch!" (A book series that came out in the seventies about a young girl who finds out she's a witch and gets to attend a school of witchcraft.) As I've continued to read fantasy novels, I find that there is a lot of crossover throughout the genre because of our general beliefs about and understanding of magic. To me, it's a lot like gothic fiction. You're going to have a lot of similarities in books about vampires because there are certain things that we all accept to be "true" about vampires (i.e. they can't be in the sun, they suck blood, they're immortal, etc.).
This is a great way of putting it! If we're going to read books about magic, etc. then there are just some things that are going to overlap. On the other hand, if someone wrote about magic and said something ridiculous that we absolutely couldn't agree with (like that you had to stomp your feet instead of waving a hand to cast a spell) I think we would be even more uncomfortable!
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think it has similarities, there's always that deja vu feeling when i encountered some scenes. However, we will know once book two is out.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by aliceriddle »

Harry Potter will always be different from the "End of the Last Great Kingdom". While the author might have been inspired by HP, it doesn't necessarily mean that she took every element from it. Books about themes that exist in HP are definitely popular nowadays.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

amybo82 wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:46 This is such an interesting thread! I think there are commen elements throughout a lot of fantasy books. When I first read Harry Potter, I thought, "This is just like The Worst Witch!" (A book series that came out in the seventies about a young girl who finds out she's a witch and gets to attend a school of witchcraft.) As I've continued to read fantasy novels, I find that there is a lot of crossover throughout the genre because of our general beliefs about and understanding of magic. To me, it's a lot like gothic fiction. You're going to have a lot of similarities in books about vampires because there are certain things that we all accept to be "true" about vampires (i.e. they can't be in the sun, they suck blood, they're immortal, etc.).
I agree. With the increasing literature in same genre, some basic things are automatically fixed after a while. And nothing is really new under the sun, so it is nothing new to find theories overlapping in different series.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

When it comes to the books in the same genre, similarities tend to pop up. I don't know whether it was inspired by Harry Potter or not, but it was certainly very different.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker&rsquo;s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

Although there are similarities, I don't think that the book can be comparable to Harry Potter. Yes, there is magic, battles, young protagonists, ect, in both books, but I think that the similarities end there.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I'm sure the author was influenced by Harry Potter in some ways--it would be hard not to be since Harry Potter is still such a huge series in both the book and film worlds! I think most magic-themed books are highly influenced by Harry Potter, just as most sci fi books are influenced by Lord of the Rings.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Ambreen Haqdad wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 08:04 If one has read all Parts of "Harry Potter", "End of The Last Great Kingdom" seems a bit of less original and more inspired from that book series. Though this book has its own vivid scenes , like the battle scene , vivid characters, romance and a sweet "unending" ending. Yet one gets a feeling that the writer was much inspired by that series and many times you feel you know what to come and its already there in literature. it seems a bit conventional.

well, everyone has a right to differ. I would like your views
One might say it could be a bit repetitive to read a series so similiar to another, and I agree. But in a way it's kind of paying homage to the author that inspired your work as a fantasy writer. Like I always love to say-- copying is a form of flattery.

Happy reading!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

RebeccasReading wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 09:18 I'm sure the author was influenced by Harry Potter in some ways--it would be hard not to be since Harry Potter is still such a huge series in both the book and film worlds! I think most magic-themed books are highly influenced by Harry Potter, just as most sci fi books are influenced by Lord of the Rings.
Totally agree! And I love them all!
Tnadev
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Tnadev »

I think the answer largely comes down to what, how much and how you read your fantasy fiction. Some would read books as consisting of a set of things - "Magical Event" > "Character introduction" > "Protagonist winning" > "PROBLEM" > "Struggle" > "Resolution" > "Pain"(?).
In reading like this, it is often very easy to draw parallels across different books and universes.
In this particular case, I would agree that even at a more micro level, there can be parallels that are drawn between the books.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

After finally reading this book, I'm returning to this forum.

I would categorize myself as a fantasy reader before any other genre and I was both sad and glad to find so many other books represented in this one, not only Harry Potter. I found myself looking for a bit more originality out of Rose. I am understandably late to the game on this book's discussion but I created a second forum topic to discuss the ideas in this book that mirror those in other books in more detail.
Last edited by Gravy on 28 Jan 2018, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to review
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
celiiia
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celiiia.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by celiiia »

I definitely see the resemblance between these two books, however the End of The Last Great Kingdom still has many differences.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

You can not compare Harry Potter books with this one. Much better those of J.K. Rowling.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”