compare Harry Potter and End Of The Last Great Kingdom as magic fantacies

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Mitchell Starc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitchell-starc.html
Latest Review: Bread Fat by Joseph Eldor

Re: compare Harry Potter and End Of The Last Great Kingdom as magic fantacies

Post by Mitchell Starc »

They are same in someways like the thriller and they differ in number of ways like magical entities and many other. So these are my opinion
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I think there are hundreds of lists out there that try to find and recommend the next Harry Potter-esque book to read, so I would think some similarities wouldn't be anything to hold against the book, it might even work as a something to lure the reader in.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I believe that the similarities don't matter much. Even in real life, people have similar life stories. What matters is that the writer was able to write a good story that is significantly distinctive. It's not a problem if the Harry Potter books was a source of inspiration for this one.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I'm glad this thread has gotten so many posts! There has been some interesting discussion. I think that all genres experience that sense of familiarity between works. They're easy to spot in fantasy and sci-fi because we're not used to seeing those things every day. For example, if a book has a dragon in it, it's easy to compare it to another book with a dragon because those books are going to stand out in your mind. A dragon isn't something you come across every day. Even in general fiction, there are stories that share similarities. Lots of mysteries start with a murder, and they have an investigator who chases the wrong lead. Eventually, they get the culprit. Plus, there are so many books published every year--even every day--that it's nearly impossible to find a completely new and unique book.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

There definitely are several points where I felt both books were similar. I think once the book develops into a series we will have enough information to do a proper compare-and-contrast between the two.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

amybo82 wrote: 30 Dec 2017, 16:46 This is such an interesting thread! I think there are commen elements throughout a lot of fantasy books. When I first read Harry Potter, I thought, "This is just like The Worst Witch!" (A book series that came out in the seventies about a young girl who finds out she's a witch and gets to attend a school of witchcraft.) As I've continued to read fantasy novels, I find that there is a lot of crossover throughout the genre because of our general beliefs about and understanding of magic. To me, it's a lot like gothic fiction. You're going to have a lot of similarities in books about vampires because there are certain things that we all accept to be "true" about vampires (i.e. they can't be in the sun, they suck blood, they're immortal, etc.).
I agree. All authors pull inspriation from somewhere.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Apart from both the books being fantasy reads, their content is packed with a lot of similarities as with differences.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

I haven't read this book, but I really want to read it now, as it has a lot of similarities and also differences from Harry Potter, and that made me curious.
ASB_1
Currently Reading: Andalusian in jerusalum
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asb-1.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ASB_1 »

There are certain points where “End of the last great kingdom” seems to be inspired from harry potter and I think it’s actually good that potterheads are going to find a similar story but still it’s not the same thing and it would be an injustice to compare both of them. Still it’s just an opinion.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
dphelps1113
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphelps1113.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by dphelps1113 »

I agree with the similarities being minor but nothing will EVER touch Harry Potter, EVER.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

I feel any story featuring magic and young characters will always be compared to Harry Potter and it's unfair. This book was unique in it's own way and, as a book of the same genre, will always have elements that we've already seen in Harry Potter. The same can be said for most books with a specific genre like romance novels. They follow the same formula but it's the way they're executed that makes them special. I think this story stands out as its own and is well worth the read.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 350

Post by Tars »

To me, in comparison to "Harry Potter" "End of The Last Great Kingdom" wins hands down. Here you don't find glaring contradictions and controversial characters which words appear to have nothing to do with their deeds. Sorry, but I never could get over unreported child abuse Harry suffered and everyone took for granted. I don't expect anything alike in here and that is always big plus.
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

I disagree. I feel like the use of magic can be used in so many different ways, and like it wasn't that similar to Harry Potter. If we labelled all books that had young MCs and magic in them as Harry Potter duplicates we'd lose so much reading material.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I feel like very few books can compare to Harry Potter!
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I was never a big fan of the Harry Potter series. I even half watched it that is I just watched a couple of them that I would find being aired on TV. I would this say that End of the Last Great Kingdom to me is better than the Harry Potter Series
MA

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”