Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
- Previous Member of the Month
- Posts: 475
- Joined: 20 Aug 2015, 20:10
- 2018 Reading Goal: 25
- 2017 Reading Goal: 25
- 2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
- 2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
- Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
- Bookshelf Size: 597
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
- Latest Review: "When ice cream is not enough" by Ellen Gendelman
- Location: Japan
amybo82 wrote: ↑
30 Dec 2017, 16:46
This is such an interesting thread! I think there are commen elements throughout a lot of fantasy books. When I first read Harry Potter, I thought, "This is just like The Worst Witch
!" (A book series that came out in the seventies about a young girl who finds out she's a witch and gets to attend a school of witchcraft.) As I've continued to read fantasy novels, I find that there is a lot of crossover throughout the genre because of our general beliefs about and understanding of magic. To me, it's a lot like gothic fiction. You're going to have a lot of similarities in books about vampires because there are certain things that we all accept to be "true" about vampires (i.e. they can't be in the sun, they suck blood, they're immortal, etc.).
This is a great way of putting it! If we're going to read books about magic, etc. then there are just some things that are going to overlap. On the other hand, if someone wrote about magic and said something ridiculous that we absolutely couldn't agree with (like that you had to stomp your feet instead of waving a hand to cast a spell) I think we would be even more uncomfortable!
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 25 Aug 2017, 23:40
- 2017 Reading Goal: 15
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 14
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
- Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
I think it has similarities, there's always that deja vu feeling when i encountered some scenes. However, we will know once book two is out.
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 15 Jan 2018, 09:31
- Currently Reading: The Expansion
- Bookshelf Size: 19
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
- Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Harry Potter will always be different from the "End of the Last Great Kingdom". While the author might have been inspired by HP, it doesn't necessarily mean that she took every element from it. Books about themes that exist in HP are definitely popular nowadays.