What did you think about the way this book ended?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Re: What did you think about the way this book ended?

Post by prenaramesh »

I think in the first book of a series, it is better to end it in a cliffhanger. Makes sure people will want to come back.

Howver, I usually prefer it when books resolve all major plot points that have been introduced in the book, but leave some questions unanswered.

In this book particularly, since there was so much effort and investment described in reaching the school, it seemed abrupt to end it there. I think it should have ended when they reached the outside wall. The part about getting in and going through the forest could have been moved to the next book.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

When you know there is another book to jump into after the first one it isn't all that bad. I have no patience and want to know what will happen next so if I don't have the next book this can be a problem. I have read books where the author just left at an awkward place that didn't make sense for ending a book. I think this book ended well and left just enough answered and enough unanswered to keep your attention for the next book but not rip your hair out wondering what about this or that. I can't wait to see what is in store for Crimson!
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html

Post by prenaramesh »

JadeK wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 12:51 When you know there is another book to jump into after the first one it isn't all that bad. I have no patience and want to know what will happen next so if I don't have the next book this can be a problem.
I understand completely. I need to know immediately too. I prefer to binge read series than wait years between books.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

They left us hanging at the end to ensure that we are kept interested in the series.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I think it is very challenging for authors to end the books... I mean, they have to make sure that syoeu doesn't seem to be rushed and some of the parts were skipped... I don't think I would have ended this book any different than the author did.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I shouted Bah Humbug!! I really didn't want it to end, I wanted more and more, and was so mad there was another installment I would have to wait for to get the rest of the drama lol I then found it and have since been liberated lol
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think it ended well enough. There is a feeling of closure as Crimson has reunited. There is also a sense of looking forward - the opening of another door (in this case, another gate).
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Miriam Molina wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 02:46 I think it ended well enough. There is a feeling of closure as Crimson has reunited. There is also a sense of looking forward - the opening of another door (in this case, another gate).
I agree. There was just enough closure for a satisfying ending, while still leaving enough open to keep me looking forward to the next book.
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

I didn't particulary enjoy the writing but the cliffhanger was so good I might just actually read the second one!
emilemilemily
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilemilemily.html

Post by emilemilemily »

I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended. It felt really abrupt to me. Just before they got into the school there was a short, vague blurb about the protags being lost in the forest, which the author mentions was very dangerous but doesn't actually narrate what happened in it, and suddenly they're free and book ends. I'm curious anyway about what will happen in the rest of the series.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

The cliffhanger is a welcome ending for me. I liken it to the movies when the hero did not settle domestically with the leading lady, but instead rode away towards the sunset and vanish. Then, you will only hear later on that a sequel is forthcoming, a comeback movie.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

While I am not a big fan of cliffhangers, I did love the fact that the author at least allowed them to reach their destination. Thereby resolving a major conflict in the book. Otherwise, that would have been disappointing and a big turn off for me.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

I like cliffhanger endings so it seems good to me. I would like to know what happens at school. It is a good idea for this type of endings to read the second book. :techie-studyinggray:
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by aliceriddle »

I hate cliffhangers. However if there wasn't a cliffhanger, I probably wouldn't read the rest of the series since the first book wrapped up well. I guess I will read the next book too.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

renatta12 wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 17:06 cliffhanger endings for me are usually quite upsetting at first but it really does peak your interest in wanting to know what happens next. The wait however is the killer for me :mrgreen:
I totally agree since I'm not the type to buy all the books in a series at once. But at the same time, it's kind of exciting once you think about how the next book will start off.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”