Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Re: Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

I liked the book and thought it is a great fantasy novel. In fact, the first thing I did, after reading the book was looking up the sequels to seee if it had been released. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

It's a book I would comfortably put in my recommendations for fantasy series. I hope the sequels come out soon.

I wish the connection to the first two chapters was revealed though.. Did anyone else feel the first two chapters were somewhat standalone and didn't connect to the rest of the book?

Check out my full review here and let me know what you guys think: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=52779
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

Have not been able to download a working copy of the book. But great sample. Hope the problem is fixed. Really looking forward to this book based on previous reviews.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The high level of violence and the use of magic in End of the Last Great Kingdom are very unattractive, for me. While I would recommend the book to readers who are favourably tuned to gore/magic, I would rate the book a 3 out 4 stars because it is well-written.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

[/quote]
It seems most of these books that talk of the end of the world, focus on a unified kingdom, rather than the fragmented pieces of states that we have today.
Does that explain something about the fiction writers?
[/quote]

Maybe it's something embedded in the human genome :eusa-think:
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

I like the magic scenes which make me imagine things out of this world.Like what if I could do this or that by just use of a concussion .
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
prenaramesh

Post by prenaramesh »

KlareAllison wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 18:26 The high level of violence and the use of magic in End of the Last Great Kingdom are very unattractive, for me. While I would recommend the book to readers who are favourably tuned to gore/magic, I would rate the book a 3 out 4 stars because it is well-written.
Although there was a lot of violence in this book, I didn’t think it was too graphic. I usually don’t like an excess of violence in books but it didnt. OTher me here since it wasn’t over described or too explicit
Humamazhar2018
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Humamazhar2018 »

End of the last great kingdom: The brimstone chronicles by victor rose.

I highly recommend this book for everyone who love suspense, magic and mythical creatures.

The main part of the book begins when a nobleman is forced to send his five year old son into exile due to an uprising in Sulphurium. Unfortunately, the young boy, Richard, never makes it to his destination but ends up being sold to a slave merchant. The story then shifts to Central Mage School where a thirteen year old boy, Nova, is bullied and is very depressed because he can't perform magic. Mages are supposed to be able to control any of the four elements; water, earth, fire and lightning but Nova doesn't fall into any category.

Nova chooses the most difficult test which he "accidentally" passes and from that moment onwards, his life takes a complete U turn. He then chooses the name Brimstone to be his new mage name and goes on to have his own team of young mages, Crimson, with him being the leader. Trouble begins when Brimstone is coerced into taking blame for an unfortunate event that occurs during a mage battle between his team and an opposing team. The penalty for this is that the culprit is to be sent to prison. The story then focuses on Brimstone's journey to prison.

I really did like the author's great imagination and storytelling skills. I do look forward to reading other stories from this writer.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I did see a few errors throughout, but I didn't think it was enough to take away a star. It's engaging and fast-paced. There is violence, but I don't think it's overly graphic. 4 stars from me!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prenaramesh

Post by prenaramesh »

Humamazhar2018 wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 11:49 End of the last great kingdom: The brimstone chronicles by victor rose.

I highly recommend this book for everyone who love suspense, magic and mythical creatures.

The main part of the book begins when a nobleman is forced to send his five year old son into exile due to an uprising in Sulphurium. Unfortunately, the young boy, Richard, never makes it to his destination but ends up being sold to a slave merchant. The story then shifts to Central Mage School where a thirteen year old boy, Nova, is bullied and is very depressed because he can't perform magic. Mages are supposed to be able to control any of the four elements; water, earth, fire and lightning but Nova doesn't fall into any category.

Nova chooses the most difficult test which he "accidentally" passes and from that moment onwards, his life takes a complete U turn. He then chooses the name Brimstone to be his new mage name and goes on to have his own team of young mages, Crimson, with him being the leader. Trouble begins when Brimstone is coerced into taking blame for an unfortunate event that occurs during a mage battle between his team and an opposing team. The penalty for this is that the culprit is to be sent to prison. The story then focuses on Brimstone's journey to prison.

I really did like the author's great imagination and storytelling skills. I do look forward to reading other stories from this writer.
IIRC, his name was Leaf and Nova was the name of his instructor.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

The book sounds to be an interesting read.. Am sure I would enjoy this fantasy book, though a lover of non- fiction.
Alashhar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alashhar.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Alashhar »

The book is a fantasy novel that full of magic, supernatural power and creatures. I read a part of it and enjoyed it a lot :lol: I love fantasy literature. It reminded me of Harry Potter series. Both have the same scenario of a prodigy child who lost his family and got through a life of misery.
I believe that the author of this book intends to turn the novel into film series as Harry Potter. The novel is interesting and has easy smooth language for non English-speakers. I rate the book 4 out of 4 for its method of attracting the readers. :tiphat:
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The storyline is wonderfully built to portray difficult situations a growing kid would face and once you add the magic you get a fantastical world that is another realm. I would rate it at 3 out of 4 stars for the parts with the excessive violence.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I absolutely loved this book. I felt that the violence was just right, a bit tasteful. I also loved the character development in the book.
Palfree
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: What If They Knew by T.R.Hendrick

Post by Palfree »

I found this book exciting. I couldn't wait to keep reading to see what would happen next. I was frustrated that due to an error during download my kindle left off the last eight pages of the book. I look forward to the next book.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The first chapters were very good up until Brimstone escaped and went on his own. After that, I couldn't understand what was going on. I didn't like the violence especially as the book seems meant for kids. I couldn't decipher the roles of Richard and Toby. I wonder how Brimstone became such a big deal with the enslaved looking to him as Messiah and the Order fearing him.

It seems I'm a minority here but the most I can give the book is 2 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”