Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Use this forum to discuss the December 2017 Book of the Month, End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Overall rating and opinion of the "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I know I may ruffle a few feathers on this review but I have to say, I was not impressed. I am admittedly not a big fan of contemporary fantasy and the Harry Potter type stories, but I felt like the plot with the magical wizards and the battle scenes is just an overplayed ingredient. If you are a follower of the magical realm stories, this read may be a great one for you. Personally, I'll stick to my Gothic fiction.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

I enjoyed the book. Not being a lover of fantasy that much, the book really gripped my attention and I don't regret reading it. I would confess to loving the crimes and violence in the book because, 1. It is fantasy and left to your imagination; being a book. 2. Being a book that contains so much violence and was well described, I think it makes the book look more realistic. I love realism. I would rate it 4 over 4.
Kuolettava
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuolettava.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kuolettava »

I haven't read this book yet, but it is definitely on my list. I have seen some people compare it to the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. How accurate would you say this description is? Is it only in reference to the type of violence that is in the novel, or is it also in reference to the amount of detail and world-building that has been put into the book?
kaylaolson35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaolson35.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kaylaolson35 »

I have not read this book yet, but I love reading all the posts. It has peaked my interest and this is definitely a book I will be reading!
S_Mulla
Currently Reading: Tarnished
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-mulla.html
Latest Review: A Good Boy by Anthony Andre

Post by S_Mulla »

I'm not a fan of dark fantasies and didn't really enjoy the book. Although the book is very well written and intriguing.
Erikajoy94
Currently Reading: Martin luther
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikajoy94.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Erikajoy94 »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 15:46 I really enjoyed this book. As a fan of fantasy novels, I found it very true to form. I loved the world building, unique and well developed characters, and epic battle scenes. I would definitely recommend reading this book to fans of dark fantasy and magic. Readers should use caution, though, as there are quite a bit of descriptive violent scenes. I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars due to scattered errors throughout the novel, but I think the story itself deserves a 4 star rating.

You make me want to read it!!! :D
Hawkite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hawkite.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Hawkite »

Yikes, I was hoping for an epic adventure in the range of Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series, and instead I got writing in the range of The Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare – and like that series, a lot of people seem to have been drawn in by the cool premise. It's a shame really, but I won't be reading the second book.
innah96
Currently Reading: How A Good Person Can Really Win
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innah96.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by innah96 »

I am definitely giving this book a go - I love fantasy and I believe I will love this one! :D
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

Truly looking forward to this read. I am a huge fantisy fan and this seems like a perfect fit.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I haven't read the book yet, just read the sample and it got me hooked. The author did a great job of developing his characters and kept the storyline moving and this is definitely a book I will be reading.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

Any fantasy book that has good world building as well as character development and rounding is great in my opinion. The writing was great in itself, however, I am very picky when it comes to fantasy, but I definitely like this a lot more than some of the recently popular fantasy books that have been huge and greatly rated.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

N_R wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 22:55 Wow this book sounds really great. I have been reading all the reviews on this...including some spoilers...and I think that I want to read this now! I am not normally a fan of fantasy novels, but if it had been likened to Game of Thrones, I want to read it.

This is exactly how I feel about this book. Although I have not watched GoT so I might be missing out on a few things but I don't think that will hinder reading and understanding the story.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I haven't read the book yet, but it sure sounds catchy. Would love to read it sometimes.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Christina Rose wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 15:46 I really enjoyed this book. As a fan of fantasy novels, I found it very true to form. I loved the world building, unique and well developed characters, and epic battle scenes. I would definitely recommend reading this book to fans of dark fantasy and magic. Readers should use caution, though, as there are quite a bit of descriptive violent scenes. I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars due to scattered errors throughout the novel, but I think the story itself deserves a 4 star rating.
Since I like fantasy novels in general, I was trying to find out more about this book before deciding whether to read it or not. Your comments helped me in this respect. The book sounds like it's worth having a closer look, yet I hope the technical errors are not so many.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

This one was a bit hard for me to keep up on, with all of the different creatures, but I had those problems with GRRM's GOT until I listened to them in audio book form. That makes me wish there was an audio book version of End of the Last Great Kingdom.

Return to “Discuss "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose”