Age appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
trevdev
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Age appropriate?

Post by trevdev » 11 Jan 2018, 13:04

I think that children live what they learn and i know of children watching television and in this case reading books and tend to try following what they see and read... It is amazing what effects things you let into your body have on your physicality and your mental state and i think if this book is going to endanger the mind of the kids maybe we need to clear it up but it is good for our children to have big imaginations! :tiphat:

briellejee
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by briellejee » 12 Jan 2018, 23:53

When I was 13 I already have read explicit scenes in books since my parents both work and most of the time I don't let them see when I read. Meaning, some parents cannot actually prevent children from accessing this kind of content in books. I was allowed to read Sidney Sheldon books even though they have some inevitable explicit scenes. Point is, this book is not age appropriate but we can't prevent teenagers when they want to read it. Maybe they can ask their parents about it after, if they're curious enough but somehow kids these days end up knowing things themselves.

Annamikov
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov » 13 Jan 2018, 09:24

Honestly, we try to shield away our children and small ones from the explicit scenes, the "dirty" industry, and we consider this subject as a taboo. But no matter how much we try, they will always get a glimpse of it in the end, because there are no boundaries. The internet is unlimited, free, and there are many ways to read the book that one desires. As others noted, we can still suggest the children what to read and what not to. I believe that normally this book would not be appropriate for a fifteen year old or below, however it all depends on the child. If they are mature enough to read this, then why not?

eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: The Angel's Game
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer » 13 Jan 2018, 12:14

Maybe it should be for people over 15 years old. But this kind of books should depend on the criteria of the parents. If they agree that their children read it, well then, it seems good to me. :techie-studyinggray:

Written Legalist
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-written-legalist.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Written Legalist » 15 Jan 2018, 11:17

I hardly think a book is a problem for a minor. Visuals are far more dangerous, whether from movies or online sites. Additionally, I prefer finding any avenue available to engage a younger person if it makes them want to read more. And if you can’t stop them from reading or watching anything anyways, what’s the harm?

Steph K
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: River of Teeth
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by Steph K » 15 Jan 2018, 16:52

I would not recommend it for kids under fifteen. I feel some material in the book is too graphic for children that young. For a mature, older teenager, maybe.

aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by aliceriddle » 16 Jan 2018, 09:20

If the kid is mature, then I wouldn't say no. However, there still has to be some age restriction. For example, I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of a thirteen year old reading this book, even though he/she may be mature. Maybe around fifteen or sixteen, it would be normal.

mandalee519
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by mandalee519 » 16 Jan 2018, 12:53

I do not believe the book to be suitable for readers under the age of 15 or even of the age. When the author added the first sex scene, the book no longer became age appropriate for young teens. I think the book could have done without such scenes without taking away from its great storyline, but this only the opinion of one.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”