Age appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Re: Age appropriate?

Post by Sorchadorcha »

Sadly with media today, explicit context is more accessible than ever to a younger audience. I think it depends on the readers maturity, if the book makes them uncomfortable then they can put it down. Parents can't monitor all the content their child has access to and it's up to the young reader to discuss explicit scenes in the novel with their parents to develop a better understanding.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Honestly, I was reading romance books as a sophomore in High school. If a teenager is genuinely interested in a book, they are going to read it. I am 25 now and have no inclination to let my kids do that, but I know if they choose to they will do so one way or another. I would rather know about what they are reading, than have them hide it from me. This book I would not let my kids read at 15 years old.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

The sex was so graphic and so frequent, this book should have been given the adult tag.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

tonysgirl0805 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 12:03 I understand where you are coming from I honestly do but how do you think they are going to be prevented from accessing this?
Parents can and should have control over what their children read, watch and listen too. It takes time and effort but that is the whole point of parenting. Place filters on all devices, constantly monitor what your child is consuming, be involved in their lives, and set the example by choosing wholesome options for yourself.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I think this book isn't appropriate for readers under 18. The book has a lot of mature content that would be too much for a young reader.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

While you can't stop a kid from getting their hands on pieces of media and books if they really want to, it's a hard no for me. There were too many sex scenes for me, personally, to feel comfortable giving this to anyone under 18, much less 15.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

It needs to be an 18 rated book because of how much inappropriate sexual content dominates the novel.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I think it depends on how we approach to the content in the book. However it contains certain parts which would not be appropriate for those who are under 15 and therefore it would be much better not allowing them to read the book without their parents' recommendation.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”