Age appropriate?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
trevdev
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Age appropriate?

Post by trevdev »

I think that children live what they learn and i know of children watching television and in this case reading books and tend to try following what they see and read... It is amazing what effects things you let into your body have on your physicality and your mental state and i think if this book is going to endanger the mind of the kids maybe we need to clear it up but it is good for our children to have big imaginations! :tiphat:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

When I was 13 I already have read explicit scenes in books since my parents both work and most of the time I don't let them see when I read. Meaning, some parents cannot actually prevent children from accessing this kind of content in books. I was allowed to read Sidney Sheldon books even though they have some inevitable explicit scenes. Point is, this book is not age appropriate but we can't prevent teenagers when they want to read it. Maybe they can ask their parents about it after, if they're curious enough but somehow kids these days end up knowing things themselves.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Honestly, we try to shield away our children and small ones from the explicit scenes, the "dirty" industry, and we consider this subject as a taboo. But no matter how much we try, they will always get a glimpse of it in the end, because there are no boundaries. The internet is unlimited, free, and there are many ways to read the book that one desires. As others noted, we can still suggest the children what to read and what not to. I believe that normally this book would not be appropriate for a fifteen year old or below, however it all depends on the child. If they are mature enough to read this, then why not?
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

Maybe it should be for people over 15 years old. But this kind of books should depend on the criteria of the parents. If they agree that their children read it, well then, it seems good to me. :techie-studyinggray:
Written Legalist
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-written-legalist.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Written Legalist »

I hardly think a book is a problem for a minor. Visuals are far more dangerous, whether from movies or online sites. Additionally, I prefer finding any avenue available to engage a younger person if it makes them want to read more. And if you can’t stop them from reading or watching anything anyways, what’s the harm?
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I would not recommend it for kids under fifteen. I feel some material in the book is too graphic for children that young. For a mature, older teenager, maybe.
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by aliceriddle »

If the kid is mature, then I wouldn't say no. However, there still has to be some age restriction. For example, I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of a thirteen year old reading this book, even though he/she may be mature. Maybe around fifteen or sixteen, it would be normal.
mandalee519
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I do not believe the book to be suitable for readers under the age of 15 or even of the age. When the author added the first sex scene, the book no longer became age appropriate for young teens. I think the book could have done without such scenes without taking away from its great storyline, but this only the opinion of one.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

With technological advancement, it a bit difficult trying to control a 15 year old from reading a book. Parental guidance comes in here. Children must be trained to distinguish between the suitability of books
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

HeatherTasker wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 14:54
tonysgirl0805 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 11:05 I have not read this book yet but based on the reviews I have read it seems to be pretty explicit. Kids see these things on TV and in movies so if they are not getting them from books they are getting it somewhere else. These days kids that age are having sex and even getting pregnant sad but true. So if they are mature enough to have sex why not read about it? I would think in the end it would be up to the parents to make this decision though they would be the one buying it in the end you would think.
I agree it should be up to the parents, though sometimes it'd be nice if there was some kind of rough guide to what age group a child should be in to read a book.

Whenever I'm in doubt about a book or movie I check it out first. If it's a little questionable, we have a conversation about it first. If it's out of bounds, I will give examples as to why and tell my son when might be a better time.
Yes--it would be great if they had "ratings" for books like they do for video games so parents know what they're dealing with. Unfortunately a lot of the blurbs on books don't usually address any explicit content so parents will have no idea what they're letting their kids read.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

mandalee519 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 12:53 I do not believe the book to be suitable for readers under the age of 15 or even of the age. When the author added the first sex scene, the book no longer became age appropriate for young teens. I think the book could have done without such scenes without taking away from its great storyline, but this only the opinion of one.
It seems to be the opinion of many, after reading through the forum! Sometimes authors go a little overboard trying to spice the story up, unfortunately.
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker&rsquo;s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

I don't think this book is appropriate for anybody under the age of sixteen, due to the quite explicit sex scenes. However, that said, teenagers these days know a lot more about sex than they should. I think that there should be some sort of age guide and parental guidance for this book.
Maggie G
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-g.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Maggie G »

I haven’t finished the book yet, but I think it really depends on the kid and the parents’ preferences. I tend toward not restricting books based on sexual content, but understand how others can differ.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Naresh607 wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 22:08 I don't think it is appropriate for children under 15 not even under parental guidance
I totally agree
celiiia
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celiiia.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by celiiia »

Won't suggest it to a thirteen year old, but I guess from age fifteen-sixteen it's okay. It just depends on the maturity of the child.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”