Jennifer's grief

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Re: Jennifer's grief

Post by KRay93 »

I guess her "grief" serves as a burden for her character. It is, in fact, the most important event in her background that motivates the vast majority of her actions throughout the book. I think there could have been more flashbacks of her time with Zexton, and a more appropriate closure when she finally overcame that guilt to be with Marty.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's shown at the beginning but quickly forgotten once Marty comes into the picture, and I think therein lies the issue. It felt less like an actual part of Jennifer and more like a plot device.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I felt like it was slightly unrealistic. Yes her grief did come in waves, where things would remind her of her grief. But I felt like the story didn't really do it any justice. The reason for grief was explained as Zexton dying but it seemed like whenever the topic came up, her thoughts were just "oh right, he's dead". I felt like the author could have gone into more detail about his death and not just as something that seemed like an afterthought thrown into the story every once in a while.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

Her grief was not consistent and it was thrown in at random times. It did not seem at all realistic.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”