What themes did you notice in the book?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Re: What themes did you notice in the book?

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 01 Dec 2017, 11:48

I think, the themes most prominent in the story is reconciliation and perseverance.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
Christina Rose
Member of the Month
Posts: 906
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 01 Dec 2017, 18:12

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 11:48
I think, the themes most prominent in the story is reconciliation and perseverance.
Very insightful!

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 01 Dec 2017, 19:36

Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 18:12
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 11:48
I think, the themes most prominent in the story is reconciliation and perseverance.
Very insightful!
Yes. Despite the liberated nature of Jennifer, the humanity in her remained.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
Christina Rose
Member of the Month
Posts: 906
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 01 Dec 2017, 20:48

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 19:36
Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 18:12
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 11:48
I think, the themes most prominent in the story is reconciliation and perseverance.
Very insightful!
Yes. Despite the liberated nature of Jennifer, the humanity in her remained.
I think she was a good person at heart. She just failed to think things through sometimes, and, yes very liberated.

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 01 Dec 2017, 22:03

Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 20:48
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 19:36
Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 18:12


Very insightful!
Yes. Despite the liberated nature of Jennifer, the humanity in her remained.
I think she was a good person at heart. She just failed to think things through sometimes, and, yes very liberated.
Do you think, Jennifer's libertarianism, lessened her desirability? Could she be strong, as well, by being chaste? I have watched heroines on TV, the likes of Wonder Woman, Zena the warrior princess, or Super Girl. They never got to as close as kissing. What do you think?

But I knew, sex is usually used by women to trade favors with men.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
Christina Rose
Member of the Month
Posts: 906
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 02 Dec 2017, 03:03

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 22:03
Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 20:48
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
01 Dec 2017, 19:36


Yes. Despite the liberated nature of Jennifer, the humanity in her remained.
I think she was a good person at heart. She just failed to think things through sometimes, and, yes very liberated.
Do you think, Jennifer's libertarianism, lessened her desirability? Could she be strong, as well, by being chaste? I have watched heroines on TV, the likes of Wonder Woman, Zena the warrior princess, or Super Girl. They never got to as close as kissing. What do you think?

But I knew, sex is usually used by women to trade favors with men.
I donโ€™t think it lessened jenniferโ€™s desirability, but it did lessen the desirability of the book for many readers. To me, it seemed that for those who did not care much for Jennifer, it was more because of her abandoning her team and lying about her past.

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 02 Dec 2017, 03:59

Yes, Jennifer does not have the moral fiber of a heroine. Lying is resorted to by some heroes, but that is to benefit the group, and not to fool the group.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
Christina Rose
Member of the Month
Posts: 906
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 03 Dec 2017, 05:16

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
02 Dec 2017, 03:59
Yes, Jennifer does not have the moral fiber of a heroine. Lying is resorted to by some heroes, but that is to benefit the group, and not to fool the group.
Well said. This is too bad, though, as she does seem to have the bravery of a hero.

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 03 Dec 2017, 05:58

Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
03 Dec 2017, 05:16
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
02 Dec 2017, 03:59
Yes, Jennifer does not have the moral fiber of a heroine. Lying is resorted to by some heroes, but that is to benefit the group, and not to fool the group.
Well said. This is too bad, though, as she does seem to have the bravery of a hero.
On a lighter note, would you like to read about a gun-slinging nun, well-versed in martial arts, who would do the act of saving people? As for me, any woman could become a heroine. I am just apalled by the way some writers build up their characters, perhaps, just to splice in some adult content, the poor heroine was endowed with the morals of an alley cat.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
Rosemary Wright
Posts: 214
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 03:06
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Location: Place of Success

Post by Rosemary Wright » 03 Dec 2017, 09:02

I noticed the theme that no matter what happens you can always start all over again. You have the power to decide to be happy or not.

User avatar
Christina Rose
Member of the Month
Posts: 906
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 03 Dec 2017, 16:57

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
03 Dec 2017, 05:58
Christina Rose wrote: โ†‘
03 Dec 2017, 05:16
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
02 Dec 2017, 03:59
Yes, Jennifer does not have the moral fiber of a heroine. Lying is resorted to by some heroes, but that is to benefit the group, and not to fool the group.
Well said. This is too bad, though, as she does seem to have the bravery of a hero.
On a lighter note, would you like to read about a gun-slinging nun, well-versed in martial arts, who would do the act of saving people? As for me, any woman could become a heroine. I am just apalled by the way some writers build up their characters, perhaps, just to splice in some adult content, the poor heroine was endowed with the morals of an alley cat.
Interesting ๐Ÿ™ƒ Iโ€™m not familiar with it.

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 03 Dec 2017, 18:40

@Christina Rose, it is similar to priests being the heroes, or monks dispensing justice with iron hands. Although heroines with a bad past also merit the pathos of the readers, these usually occur only in cases where such characters do not commit anymore any anomaly at the present time.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
Christina Rose
Member of the Month
Posts: 906
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: "Freeing Linhurst" by Al Cassidy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 03 Dec 2017, 19:06

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: โ†‘
03 Dec 2017, 18:40
@Christina Rose, it is similar to priests being the heroes, or monks dispensing justice with iron hands. Although heroines with a bad past also merit the pathos of the readers, these usually occur only in cases where such characters do not commit anymore any anomaly at the present time.
Okay, I think I understand. Her lying in the present moment take away from her heroic persona

User avatar
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Posts: 650
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 07:38
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: Raven's Peak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Location: Central District, State of Reverie

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 03 Dec 2017, 19:31

The stigma of a bad past only intensifies with new misdeeds. Just like with the proverbial old wounds being cut again, or reopened. We must not be judgmental on faults that were buried effectively in oblivion. Only those faults which are committed in real-time be considered the issue. A past misdeed will have only its miasma again reeking in the air once exhumed.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

User avatar
ButterscotchCherrie
Posts: 433
Joined: 29 Apr 2017, 02:00
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Le role de l'OSCE en Eurasie, du sommet de Lisbonne au Conseil ministeriel de Maastricht (1996-2003)
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: "Elastic Girl" by Olivia Rana
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Central Europe

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 05 Dec 2017, 07:06

The themes I noticed included travel writing, marine research and ecology, academia, theories about the expansion of the universe and dark matter, the tantalizing possibilities of time travel, identity, escapism, relationships and sexual liberation. It was much more the case that they were spliced together rather than skillfully intertwined.

Post Reply

Return to โ€œDiscuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhDโ€