Unanswered Questions

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Re: Unanswered Questions

Post by cherryalakei »

Questions I have that I would like to see covered:
-How did she get 2 Ph.D's so quickly? She was assumed to be a 22 year old who had been missing for 7 years, so this would have been the assumed identity's first semester at college.. and she writes projects and papers and studies for 2 Ph.D's? Off the bat?
-Why did she agree to therapy, when she didn't even want to go to the hospital?
-Why were both twins named the same? Jennifer and Jenny?

Concepts I'd like to see covered:
-The life of Jenny Heros as she leaves the 21st century for the 30th century
-Jennifer's memories of her life in the 30th century
-How the war between the Syndos and the Naturals was started
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

The scientific concepts around time travel were not convincing for me. I didn't get that 'suspension of disbelief' which mad it difficult to enjoy the book completely. I would also have liked for Jennifer's medical results to be revealed but I guess that may be for the next installment.
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Ste Brad »

Hello!

Am wondering, how does it compare to A wrinkle on Time?

Anybody know? ⏳
The Joy of The LORD is my strength!
:idea: :techie-reference:
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is a strategy used by authors especially if they have different versions of their books. This urges the reader to read the various versions of such books and creates some form of loyalty.
celiiia
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celiiia.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by celiiia »

Unanswered questions are annoying, however that's what keeps us hooked on the book, right?
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

Yes, there are a few unanswered questions like, for example, Jennifer was sure that a medical exam would reveal her secrets but it doesn't happen.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

There were a lot of concerns in Jennifer's mind in the beginning - a medical would divulge her powerful cells (but that doesn't happen), her thigh scar has to be kept secret (but I doubt not one of her playmates saw it), her brilliant mind might be questioned (but nobody does). It's as if the author got so distracted concentrating on the explicit scenes that he forgot to answer his own questions.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 14:49 My big unanswered question is: What does having a PhD have to do with writing erotica? I don't put AICP, GISP behind my name unless it is in a work setting and it matters.
I don't think that the PdD had anything to do with the erotica. The author is a published and recognized scientist who happens to have decided to try his hand at writing a science fiction novel with an erotic twist. I, for one, enjoyed the science and the sex. I would have enjoyed the sex scenes more had there been more sexual tension built up over time among the characters but I think that is a talent that comes with experience in writing erotic fiction. We shall see in the next installment.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

I'm glad they are so many unanswered questions as the author will hopefully answer them in the next two installments. Perhaps if he focuses less on the explicit scenes he'll be able to tie up all the loose ends. I'm specifically interested in seeing more of the time traveling element.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 21:06
CommMayo wrote: 16 Nov 2017, 14:49 My big unanswered question is: What does having a PhD have to do with writing erotica? I don't put AICP, GISP behind my name unless it is in a work setting and it matters.
I don't think that the PdD had anything to do with the erotica. The author is a published and recognized scientist who happens to have decided to try his hand at writing a science fiction novel with an erotic twist. I, for one, enjoyed the science and the sex. I would have enjoyed the sex scenes more had there been more sexual tension built up over time among the characters but I think that is a talent that comes with experience in writing erotic fiction. We shall see in the next installment.
I think the PhD has more to do with the science that he uses for Jenny's dissertation defense. If I recall correctly, the author bio mentioned that the time travel science was based on work that the author had a hand in.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”