What did you think of Jennifer’s relationship with Marty?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1060
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What did you think of Jennifer’s relationship with Marty

Post by Christina Rose » 19 Nov 2017, 13:16

Cotwani wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:I enjoyed watching them fall for each other. I found the number of people that they had liaisons with rather bizarre.
I quite agree with you. I also found it strange the way Jennifer was able to leave to rescue her team, without a convincing explanation to her new husband.
I found that very odd, too. Anybody in Marty’s position would want to know more about where his new wife was going, what she would be doing, and for how long. Marty’s reaction is too unrealistic.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 19 Nov 2017, 23:18

prenaramesh wrote:She had her faults !! Going back in time and marrying Marty- what is her end game here ? How do you marry someone's when you have been lying to them about your past the entire time. That is absolutely dishonest.

Also, I really didn't like the fact that she was comfortable using another persons money, name etc. isn't that illegal as well as completely unethical ?
ethics gone wrong.. the characters are like this only.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1060
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 20 Nov 2017, 22:39

BoyLazy wrote:
prenaramesh wrote:She had her faults !! Going back in time and marrying Marty- what is her end game here ? How do you marry someone's when you have been lying to them about your past the entire time. That is absolutely dishonest.

Also, I really didn't like the fact that she was comfortable using another persons money, name etc. isn't that illegal as well as completely unethical ?
ethics gone wrong.. the characters are like this only.
I also had issue with how freely she used the money, and how little it seemed to bother her that she had to lie so much. It may have bothered her a little, but not enough to come clean to anyone.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 21 Nov 2017, 13:18

Christina Rose wrote:
BoyLazy wrote:
prenaramesh wrote:She had her faults !! Going back in time and marrying Marty- what is her end game here ? How do you marry someone's when you have been lying to them about your past the entire time. That is absolutely dishonest.

Also, I really didn't like the fact that she was comfortable using another persons money, name etc. isn't that illegal as well as completely unethical ?
ethics gone wrong.. the characters are like this only.
I also had issue with how freely she used the money, and how little it seemed to bother her that she had to lie so much. It may have bothered her a little, but not enough to come clean to anyone.
Future is dark.. Book is imaginative..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

Amie Gene
Posts: 27
Joined: 03 Aug 2017, 19:47
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 244">Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series #4)</a>
Currently Reading: The Selection (the selection #1)
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amie-gene.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amie Gene » 22 Nov 2017, 00:59

I think as Jennifer and Marty's relationship progressed, it became more of a physical relationship than an emotional one. Their friends became involved too, and I think this distracted from the point of the story as a whole. The relationship became unhealthy as they started getting together just to have sex.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 22 Nov 2017, 02:31

Amie Gene wrote:I think as Jennifer and Marty's relationship progressed, it became more of a physical relationship than an emotional one. Their friends became involved too, and I think this distracted from the point of the story as a whole. The relationship became unhealthy as they started getting together just to have sex.
It is very real. Sex can be a spoiler as it is a strong emotion in itself.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1060
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 23 Nov 2017, 00:47

Amie Gene wrote:I think as Jennifer and Marty's relationship progressed, it became more of a physical relationship than an emotional one. Their friends became involved too, and I think this distracted from the point of the story as a whole. The relationship became unhealthy as they started getting together just to have sex.
While I can’t say whether or not it was healthy, it definitely took away from the story as a whole.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 24 Nov 2017, 03:10

Christina Rose wrote:
Amie Gene wrote:I think as Jennifer and Marty's relationship progressed, it became more of a physical relationship than an emotional one. Their friends became involved too, and I think this distracted from the point of the story as a whole. The relationship became unhealthy as they started getting together just to have sex.
While I can’t say whether or not it was healthy, it definitely took away from the story as a whole.
Yes..
That is the most criticized part of the book..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

User avatar
powergirl
Posts: 158
Joined: 31 Oct 2017, 09:54
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl » 24 Nov 2017, 17:11

I really appreciated martyr and Jennifer relationship because Jennifer needed love and attention after all what She passes through during her survival.She became trustful and knowing what She wants un life.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 25 Nov 2017, 03:37

radioactivelyradiant wrote:I enjoyed the including of the romance, especially Jennifer's reasoning for falling for Marty. However, the transition from tame to erotic seemed a bit out of place for me.
It was all fine in the first half..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1060
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 25 Nov 2017, 14:26

powergirl wrote:I really appreciated martyr and Jennifer relationship because Jennifer needed love and attention after all what She passes through during her survival.She became trustful and knowing what She wants un life.
She did need love and attention, I agree. I think it would be a stronger relationship, though, without so many outside factors. However, it seems to be working for them so far, I guess.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 26 Nov 2017, 10:20

radioactivelyradiant wrote:I enjoyed the including of the romance, especially Jennifer's reasoning for falling for Marty. However, the transition from tame to erotic seemed a bit out of place for me.
Sex often is corrupting. It can stop our minds from thinking much.

-- 26 Nov 2017, 10:20 --
radioactivelyradiant wrote:I enjoyed the including of the romance, especially Jennifer's reasoning for falling for Marty. However, the transition from tame to erotic seemed a bit out of place for me.
Sex often is corrupting. It can stop our minds from thinking much.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

Reviewer Book
Posts: 39
Joined: 27 Nov 2017, 02:36
2018 Reading Goal: 1000
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer-book.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by Reviewer Book » 27 Nov 2017, 03:12

I'm definitely glad they found each other. Both had suffered a loss in some way, and deserved something positive in their lives. Maybe they went a little extreme there with all of the sexual partners, but maybe this was the first time one or both could really be themselves.

User avatar
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1060
Joined: 27 Jun 2017, 08:41
2018 Reading Goal: 56
2017 Reading Goal: 49
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 63
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose » 27 Nov 2017, 03:14

Reviewer Book wrote:I'm definitely glad they found each other. Both had suffered a loss in some way, and deserved something positive in their lives. Maybe they went a little extreme there with all of the sexual partners, but maybe this was the first time one or both could really be themselves.
You bring up good points, but I still think the explicit scenes were a bit out of control. As far as them falling for each other, I found that refreshing.

User avatar
BoyLazy
Posts: 802
Joined: 26 Apr 2017, 23:01
2018 Reading Goal: 2
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BoyLazy » 27 Nov 2017, 04:24

Reviewer Book wrote:I'm definitely glad they found each other. Both had suffered a loss in some way, and deserved something positive in their lives. Maybe they went a little extreme there with all of the sexual partners, but maybe this was the first time one or both could really be themselves.
little extreme.. i thnk they went too much extreme..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer
 

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”