What did you think of Jennifer’s relationship with Marty?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

What did you think of Jennifer’s relationship with Marty?

Post by Yoli García »

What did you think of Jennifer’s romantic relationship with Marty? What do you think about how the author developed that relationship throughout the book?

I was happy for Jennifer when she started falling in love with Marty because she had suffered the death of her former partner in her time. I liked that she fell in love with him in great part because of his intelligence. I think the author was a little slow developing this relationship in the first part of the book. Once they got serious, their relationship turned super steamy, which I understand because it is an erotic book after all. However, I think the author went over the top with how many of their friends they slept with. I did not quiet understand the need for them to sleep with many of their close friends.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I was happy when Jennifer realized she was beginning to develop romantic feelings for Marty, and even happier when he returned the feelings. They were an obvious match that paired well together. I find it odd that she was so quickly embraced by all five of his children, though.
radioactivelyradiant
Currently Reading: Popular Crime
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radioactivelyradiant.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by radioactivelyradiant »

I enjoyed the including of the romance, especially Jennifer's reasoning for falling for Marty. However, the transition from tame to erotic seemed a bit out of place for me.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

radioactivelyradiant wrote:I enjoyed the including of the romance, especially Jennifer's reasoning for falling for Marty. However, the transition from tame to erotic seemed a bit out of place for me.
I agree. I feel like it didn't have a natural flow.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoyed watching them fall for each other. I found the number of people that they had liaisons with rather bizarre.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Now that I you made me think about it, yes, it was strange that all the children got along with her. They also started doing a lot of activities together and everything went all right, which is also not that credible in these situations.

I think the author wanted to portray that even though their relationship was not typical, they had a typical family life.

-- 05 Nov 2017, 11:58 --
radioactivelyradiant wrote:I enjoyed the including of the romance, especially Jennifer's reasoning for falling for Marty. However, the transition from tame to erotic seemed a bit out of place for me.
Yes! I think the book could have been erotic without going out of place like that. And even if the author’s intention was to portray a what a polyamory relationship is about, I think is was too much.

-- 05 Nov 2017, 12:01 --
CatInTheHat wrote:I enjoyed watching them fall for each other. I found the number of people that they had liaisons with rather bizarre.

It was bizarre for me too. I did not understand the author’s need to write them sleeping with most of their close friends. It seemed like all their good friendships turned sexual, which was not necessary. It felt gratuitous.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

CatInTheHat wrote:I enjoyed watching them fall for each other. I found the number of people that they had liaisons with rather bizarre.
Bizarre is a good word for it!
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

I loved how both of them were attracted towards each other and how quickly they fell in love.
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Rightly said.. the second half was different..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I quite agree with you. I also found it strange the way Jennifer was able to leave to rescue her team, without a convincing explanation to her new husband.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

I didn't enjoy the romance, because I didn't think they were in any way compatible. While she claims to be older in age, she mostly behaves like a twenty-one year old. I just don't see how this romance happened.

-- 17 Nov 2017, 13:22 --
Cotwani wrote:
I quite agree with you. I also found it strange the way Jennifer was able to leave to rescue her team, without a convincing explanation to her new husband.
This is a very good point that didn't occur to me earlier
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

I would have liked it more if they had slept with lesser number of partners..
Boy Lazy

Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The Marty and Jennifer love story was bound to happen. However, the "games" with the various "playmates" were totally shocking to me.

Jennifer was portrayed as a "perfect" person - beauty, brains and character, she had them all! She got along with everybody: old people (Jules, for instance), exes (Marty's ex-wife, for one), children (Marty's and the other kids), and animals (dolphins, especially). She was totally flawless, save for her one fault of abandoning her team (which was glossed over in the end) and that revealing scar on her thigh (which was completely forgotten). Will our descendants all be flawless 900 years from now?
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html

Post by prenaramesh »

She had her faults !! Going back in time and marrying Marty- what is her end game here ? How do you marry someone's when you have been lying to them about your past the entire time. That is absolutely dishonest.

Also, I really didn't like the fact that she was comfortable using another persons money, name etc. isn't that illegal as well as completely unethical ?
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Most of us did not like the second half..
Boy Lazy

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”