What did you think of Jennifer’s relationship with Marty?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: What did you think of Jennifer’s relationship with Marty?

Post by BoyLazy »

vaz222 wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 16:37 I felt like it was a strange surprise for the story. I'm happy for her that she got to marry him, I guess. It changed the story quite a lot and it wasn't my favorite part.
Did she marry him
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I liked the way the relationship developed at first. I did feel however that it was unlikely that so many of their close friends to be interested in the same type of relationships. They appeared to have never discussed it before so I found this very off-putting.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I really didn't feel very connected to the characters. I found Jennifer's character to be very aggravating.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I enjoyed the relationship between Jennifer and Marty. I found the idea of finding Mr. Right in a totally different century to be cool and the two characters fit each other well.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I mean it is pretty apparent by the first few chapters that Marty and Jennifer end up together, which I was okay with. It didn't go the predictable route though, that's for sure! I thought it interesting to juxtapose his relationship with "AC/DC/" Jennifer (does anyone really use that term anymore? I feel like that is an old term) who he seemed cool exploring her bisexuality, but was resistant to it with his wife. I like that they noted that. I do feel the kids warmed up to her way too quickly. At times, it really felt like a male writing from the perspective of what he thinks a woman would say or feel about certain scenarios, as opposed to how one would truly feel or what would realistically be said. I think at times, that's why I felt so conflicted with Jennifer and Marty's relationship. Parts of it were great, and others just felt forced. There is a scene where Jennifer says very early on "If he intends on marrying me" when they have been together for like, 2 minutes. Stuff like that. I think her relationship with Marty should have been explored with her memories of relationships with Zexton and Kylie to contrast her growth as a partner.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I loved watching their love develop. I think it was a little slow to start but then it seemed to rush very quickly. It also was great with why she fell in love with him but lost focus on that for all of the sexual scenes and many partners.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

It becomes no longer surprising if Jennifer also connected romantically with Marty. The author just built her character to be so easily linked to so many. Women will have diverse reactions to this. Some would be proud of her being emancipated from the usual role of domesticity that housewives are tied into; while others will be appalled by her promiscuity.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

The relationship felt weird from Marty's side for me. He's what, 40s, 50s, and Jennifer is ostensibly a 20-something, right? That's a big age gap. Besides that, it felt like an obvious pairing, which isn't to say it's necessarily a bad pairing.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

I think that Jennifer's relationship with Marty was ok but in my opinion the author was slow developing this relationship.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

prenaramesh wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 06:05 She had her faults !! Going back in time and marrying Marty- what is her end game here ? How do you marry someone's when you have been lying to them about your past the entire time. That is absolutely dishonest.

Also, I really didn't like the fact that she was comfortable using another persons money, name etc. isn't that illegal as well as completely unethical ?
To be fair, the author did mention that she wasn't comfortable with it several times, to the point of her having a significant panic attack when she found out that the inheritance was rightfully hers.

With that being said, I'm not sure how much I liked the relationship. It was too predictable and the lack of any real conflict put me off while I was reading it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Innae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innae.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Innae »

Christina Rose wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 16:43 I was happy when Jennifer realized she was beginning to develop romantic feelings for Marty, and even happier when he returned the feelings. They were an obvious match that paired well together. I find it odd that she was so quickly embraced by all five of his children, though.
I felt the same way. Even the ex-wife was quick to get well acquainted which is nice but things don't go as smoothly in real life.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Asides the erotic part, I loved Jennifer's relationship with Marty.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”