Did you like the plot twist at the end?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Did you like the plot twist at the end?

Post by Christina Rose »

Quinto wrote:This was a convenient way to explain things away. It may mean the author lacked a more convincing way to advance his plot. So it didn't work for me.
I wasn’t thrilled with it either. I would have rather had a more thought out ending to this book, than an ending that seemed rushed and less appealing just to have a lead into a second book.
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I've gotten more into the twin things since seeing What happened to Monday and Orphan Black on tv. However, It's very cliche, hopefully it doesn't remain that way and there is something to build off of with the twin twist! :)
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

I could not have guessed it. It was surprise for me.

-- 18 Nov 2017, 03:09 --
Whitney Marchelle wrote:I've gotten more into the twin things since seeing What happened to Monday and Orphan Black on tv. However, It's very cliche, hopefully it doesn't remain that way and there is something to build off of with the twin twist! :)
Have you seen The prestige.. It has twins..
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

The twist at the end was kind of crazy but in a good way. I liked it. I can't say that I saw it coming, although there were some small clues pointing towards it.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

radioactivelyradiant wrote:I personally am not a fan of the "twin cliche' plot twist. It always feels somewhat shoehorned in as a last resort to make a novel seem deeper or more special.
It would have been a great twist few decades back ?
Boy Lazy

Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Whitney Marchelle wrote:I've gotten more into the twin things since seeing What happened to Monday and Orphan Black on tv. However, It's very cliche, hopefully it doesn't remain that way and there is something to build off of with the twin twist! :)
I’ve not seen Monday or Orphan Black, but there are several movies that have incorporated the “long lost twin” idea, so I do agree that it is very cliche.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I definitely suspected there was more going on that the author was revealing. However, I agree that the twin theme is a bit cliché. Sort of felt like the plot twist in a soap opera, so more comical than intriguing.
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Brandi Noelle wrote:I definitely suspected there was more going on that the author was revealing. However, I agree that the twin theme is a bit cliché. Sort of felt like the plot twist in a soap opera, so more comical than intriguing.
Opera is boring ?
Boy Lazy

Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Brandi Noelle wrote:I definitely suspected there was more going on that the author was revealing. However, I agree that the twin theme is a bit cliché. Sort of felt like the plot twist in a soap opera, so more comical than intriguing.
Your soap opera analogy is spot on. It did cause a less intriguing twist and ending.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

ashley_claire wrote:We discover toward the end of the book that Jennifer has a twin sister named Jenny and they were part of an experiment involving growing up in different centuries. Did you see this plot twist coming? Did you think it adequately explained things? Where do you think Jennifer and Jenny go from here?
I did not see this twist coming. When it is mentioned that she had a twin, I thought maybe the gentleman with Alzheimer's was confused. I was shocked when I found out that she did have a twin and that he was part of the experiment that switched them. I did feel that it explained how it was so easy for her to take up the role as Jenny. I am curious about where they go, but I do believe that they will keep in touch and possibly make frequent visits to both the past and future.
Madison Degraffenreid
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Jenny's appearance felt like a convenient way to somehow stitch a story together! A woman from the future travels so many years into the past and seems to fit right in!! She experiences no social awkwardness, no difficulty in interacting with people- and the author tries to explain this away by saying she has a twin! This twin wasn't even born in the same century as her-- so no I didn't like the twin explanation.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Job Njoroge »

Plot twists are my favorite. I love books that create suspense and do not have a predictable ending. If you knew how a story would end then what would be the importance of reading it.
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Job Njoroge wrote:Plot twists are my favorite. I love books that create suspense and do not have a predictable ending. If you knew how a story would end then what would be the importance of reading it.
Good twists are always interesting and give us a smile and satisfaction at the end :)
Boy Lazy

Amie Gene
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 244">Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series #4)</a>
Currently Reading: The Selection (the selection #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amie-gene.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amie Gene »

The plot twist at the end did explain a few questions about how Jennifer was able to exist in both the 21st and the 30th century, but it also left more unanswered questions, especially about how that was possible and whether that affected her growing up or not.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
BoyLazy

Post by BoyLazy »

Amie Gene wrote:The plot twist at the end did explain a few questions about how Jennifer was able to exist in both the 21st and the 30th century, but it also left more unanswered questions, especially about how that was possible and whether that affected her growing up or not.
This never striked my mind
Boy Lazy

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”