Explicit Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Explicit Scenes

Post by kandscreeley »

Do you feel that the explicit scenes in the book added to the plot? Or were they unnecessary? Why?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I think the point of them was to show that 2015 wasn't as uptight regarding sexual preferences as Jennifer originally thought it would be. But the number of encounters she was having got to the point where it was almost comical. Suddenly everyone she had met wanted to have sex with her. It was unrealistic and the scenes weren't even written very well. This isn't an exact quote because I didn't write it down, but one of the characters says to Jennifer something like "okay, I think we should have sex now" kind of just out of nowhere. The scenes just didn't flow naturally and I feel like some of them were added for shock value more than anything else.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

See, that's kind of what I thought. Regardless of whether I personally am comfortable with explicit scenes or not, there are some instances where it's acceptable and adds to the plot for one reason or another. This seemed a little over the top to me, though, either way.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I think the point of the explicit scenes was to develop the theme of polyamory relationships, which oddly enough was mostly discussed in the second half of the book. However, I did think the author over did it. My conclusion was that the book discussed several scientific concepts, and as a result, the author included the over the top erotic part to make the story exciting.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

The explicit scenes are the only thing drawing me to this book at the moment, but that's just out of morbid curiosity aha
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Yolimari wrote:I think the point of the explicit scenes was to develop the theme of polyamory relationships, which oddly enough was mostly discussed in the second half of the book. However, I did think the author over did it. My conclusion was that the book discussed several scientific concepts, and as a result, the author included the over the top erotic part to make the story exciting.
I quite agree. It's a sort of tactic to make a book as relatable to general life as possible when explicit scenes are thrown in to take of the sting of unfamiliar or undesirable concepts. Sometimes, the purpose is achieved, other times, it keeps a potential reader at bay.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jenjayfromSA »

I considered the explicit scenes unnecessary. They did nothing to further what little plot there was and became totally tedious. I started flipping pages - not another one ... I didn't even care who was doing what to who. I don't have a problem with this stuff, but this was boring. It was also unlikely. Yes, Jennifer is apparently a sex bomb, but suddenly everyone else is too? And everyone is suddenly panting for the opportunity to the point where it is the only thing on their minds? Boring ...
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I found the scenes a bit unnecessary. They really didn't add any value to the storyline. If it were only one or two scenes, it probably wouldn't have become such an issue. Explicit scenes have a place in certain books and in certain situations. I just don't think it flowed naturally in this particular book. Maybe the author was trying to attract fans of several genres by including different factors, such as the erotic scenes, time travel, etc.
radioactivelyradiant
Currently Reading: Popular Crime
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radioactivelyradiant.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by radioactivelyradiant »

I believe there were simply too many scenes like this, to the point it seemed unrealistic. It seemed unnatural and out of place at certain points in the story.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

radioactivelyradiant wrote:I believe there were simply too many scenes like this, to the point it seemed unrealistic. It seemed unnatural and out of place at certain points in the story.
Very true. After awhile, it was far too commonplace. I also find it odd that so many of the characters were okay with significant others engaging in sexual acts so often with other people. Open relationships are nothing new. But, every single person isn't okay with it. It's too unrealistic, even for fiction.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't mind explicit scenes from time to time. Most of the ones in this book deterred from the main storyline. I found it frustrating in many ways.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

CatInTheHat wrote:I don't mind explicit scenes from time to time. Most of the ones in this book deterred from the main storyline. I found it frustrating in many ways.
It really was frustrating … you're right. It got to a point where I would get a little annoyed each time another scene began.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

These are all my thoughts exactly. Yes, sometimes there is a purpose to an explicit scene. However, it irks the crap out of me when it seems like an author does it just to... What? Sell books? Sometimes that's what it seems like.
—Neil Gaiman
kenkomercy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenkomercy.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by kenkomercy »

I think they are unnecessary. It just paints an unrealistic and damming picture of Jennifer. Almost all her bravery and intellectual prowess is cancelled by this unrealistic promiscuous mode. You must be really sick or a prostitute to live such a promiscuous life.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote: by kandscreeley » Yesterday, 09:02

These are all my thoughts exactly. Yes, sometimes there is a purpose to an explicit scene. However, it irks the crap out of me when it seems like an author does it just to... What? Sell books? Sometimes that's what it seems like.
I agree that it was probably just a selling point. No other reason makes sense, since the scenes didn't add anything to the story. However, it seems to be one of the least liked features of the book by quite a few readers.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”