Explicit Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Gregory Chileshe
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gregory-chileshe.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Re: Explicit Scenes

Post by Gregory Chileshe »

When you go through what you read or see, it go through the windows of the eyes and the eyes have to be a gateway to serious staff that builds but you are not careful enough you will only come to realize that what you just got into yourself can not be erased and this is the most difficult part with the explicit scenes.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

Alot of explicit scenes don't bother me, if that's what i'm expecting going into the book. I get my wine and my snuggle and get ready to be entertained! If I'm expecting there to really be plot, and depth and dynamic, than the amount of scenes would have been too much. I was expecting explicit scenes since it gave that disclaimer on the description on amazon, so I kind of knew what i was getting into.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote:These are all my thoughts exactly. Yes, sometimes there is a purpose to an explicit scene. However, it irks the crap out of me when it seems like an author does it just to... What? Sell books? Sometimes that's what it seems like.
I agree with you kandscreely. There are, occasionally, times when an explicit scene adds something to the book, but often you can get your point across (multiple sex partners, polyamory, etc...) with saying that something is occurring/has occurred, without describing every single encounter in graphic detail.

It seems to me that one of the general rules of writing does not seem to apply to books that are in the erotic genre, or could find a home there, and that is: if the scene does not move the book along, cut it.
Mr Jackson Height
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-jackson-height.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Mr Jackson Height »

The only reason book is not going to hit is these explicit scenes. I hope so....
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I don't have problems with sex scenes in books if they are used to further the story in some way. Sometimes it relates directly to the plot, other times, the author uses the intimacy to expose a character's vulnerabilities or gentleness. All good reasons to share a little passion with the reader. In this instance, however, I felt like it started out with purpose and then just became a free for all. No one has sex that much in day-to-day life and it took away from the realism of the story.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Explicit scenes are only relevant in a publication if they contribute to the plot of the book. There must be a relationship between the characters involved in such scenes and probably we would have the end result rising partly or fully from such acts or events that lead to them.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Mrs shiumara
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-shiumara.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Mrs shiumara »

I dislike this book just for one reason and that is explicit scenes. Otherwise, the book is great...
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Unnecessary. I could understand a couple to show how open minded the world became but everyone wanting to have sex was a bit too unreal for me
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Que Lopez wrote:If there were just one or two explicit scenes I wouldn't see an issue with that. However, I believe it was a little excessive and unnecessary.
I agree. Although not necessary, I think the first scene with her and Marty is acceptable. It at least expresses their connection to each other, and their closeness. Everything else is simply too much, and not necessary for advancement of the plot.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I think it became over the top. Some scenes to demonstrate the topic was fine but then suddenly everyone has to have her? It made everything too choppy as well. It messed with the flow of the story and I too was skipping some asking myself "really again?"
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Job Njoroge »

I did not consider the explicit scenes necessary. Also there were too many of them which did not sit well with me. I think the book should have a warning about explicit content to enable a potential reader to make informed decisions about whether to read and review the book or not.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I think explicit sex scenes have their place, but generally that place is in erotica novels. This one is being promoted as a science-fiction novel, and frankly I think closed-door sex scenes would be much more tasteful.

This, from an author of romantic erotica, by the way :D
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

CaitlynLynch wrote:I think explicit sex scenes have their place, but generally that place is in erotica novels. This one is being promoted as a science-fiction novel, and frankly I think closed-door sex scenes would be much more tasteful.

This, from an author of romantic erotica, by the way :D
I agree. Even with the warning from the author, I was surprised that there were so many explicit scenes. Science fiction isn’t a genre that typically has so many.
JadeK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadek.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JadeK »

I have to agree with you all about the excessiveness of these types of scenes in the book. These scenes don't make me feel uncomfortable but it really did have an unrealistic feel to it as the story progressed.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

JadeK wrote:I have to agree with you all about the excessiveness of these types of scenes in the book. These scenes don't make me feel uncomfortable but it really did have an unrealistic feel to it as the story progressed.
I agree that, even if erotic scenes don’t bother you, these particular scenes were unrealistic and out of place.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”