Explicit Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Amie Gene
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 244">Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series #4)</a>
Currently Reading: The Selection (the selection #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amie-gene.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Explicit Scenes

Post by Amie Gene »

I think the explicit scenes were unnecessary. They had nothing to do with Jennifer adapting to the culture and the 21st Century. They detracted from the story more than they added to it.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Explicit scenes in the book shows how Jennifer was love struck. Though I must agree that it does paint a picture which is not good about her.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Amie Gene wrote:I think the explicit scenes were unnecessary. They had nothing to do with Jennifer adapting to the culture and the 21st Century. They detracted from the story more than they added to it.
I agree, the explicit scenes did very little to add to the story.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

In my opinion, some authors include explicit scenes to attract more readers. I believe it's all right to include them but not to the point that they're almost everywhere in the book.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

GCamer wrote:In my opinion, some authors include explicit scenes to attract more readers. I believe it's all right to include them but not to the point that they're almost everywhere in the book.
I do think the author was trying to attract diverse readers, I just think he went overboard.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The author seemed unable to decide which reader he wanted to please. He straddled all genres: Sci-Fi (time travel), Romance (obviously), Thriller (will Jennifer's secret be discovered?), Nonfiction (archeology, physics, Marty's project), Historical Fiction (discussions about the Big Bang), Young Adult/Children's (time with Marty's kids, including Monopoly games!). If we look hard enough, we might find some Poetry in there!

What happened? He became a "Jack of all trades, master of none."
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

For me each author has his own way to write So i cannot say that a scene was unnecessary .For sure he knows why he put emphasis on certain scenes than others .But as far as I am concerned I love the way he explicits scenes .
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I don't think that they were unnecessary because they added to the storyline and plot. However, I don't think there needed to be quite so many. It almost seemed like the author was trying to fit in as many as possible
Perlita Basio
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Perlita Basio »

Life is not all about sex...and you can survive without sex but I am not saying that everyone has the same concern and mind set...but being open minded too much with sex is really not a good thing for me.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Christina Rose wrote:
kandscreeley wrote: by kandscreeley » Yesterday, 09:02

These are all my thoughts exactly. Yes, sometimes there is a purpose to an explicit scene. However, it irks the crap out of me when it seems like an author does it just to... What? Sell books? Sometimes that's what it seems like.
I agree that it was probably just a selling point. No other reason makes sense, since the scenes didn't add anything to the story. However, it seems to be one of the least liked features of the book by quite a few readers.
I agree, too. By adding in erotic scenes to a novel you actually end up cutting your target audience down, despite it actually being used as a selling point. I think everyone knows their standpoint on erotic scenes, whether they'll like them or not.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Miriam Molina wrote:The author seemed unable to decide which reader he wanted to please. He straddled all genres: Sci-Fi (time travel), Romance (obviously), Thriller (will Jennifer's secret be discovered?), Nonfiction (archeology, physics, Marty's project), Historical Fiction (discussions about the Big Bang), Young Adult/Children's (time with Marty's kids, including Monopoly games!). If we look hard enough, we might find some Poetry in there!

What happened? He became a "Jack of all trades, master of none."
You’re right, the author really did try to include something for everyone. It resulted in fans of any particular genre not being able to embrace the whole novel.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

radioactivelyradiant wrote:I believe there were simply too many scenes like this, to the point it seemed unrealistic. It seemed unnatural and out of place at certain points in the story.
It is very disappointing that the flow of the story was missed.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

ashley_claire wrote:I think the point of them was to show that 2015 wasn't as uptight regarding sexual preferences as Jennifer originally thought it would be. But the number of encounters she was having got to the point where it was almost comical. Suddenly everyone she had met wanted to have sex with her. It was unrealistic and the scenes weren't even written very well. This isn't an exact quote because I didn't write it down, but one of the characters says to Jennifer something like "okay, I think we should have sex now" kind of just out of nowhere. The scenes just didn't flow naturally and I feel like some of them were added for shock value more than anything else.
I think it detracts from a book when the explicit scenes are too many and unnatural.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:
ashley_claire wrote:I think the point of them was to show that 2015 wasn't as uptight regarding sexual preferences as Jennifer originally thought it would be. But the number of encounters she was having got to the point where it was almost comical. Suddenly everyone she had met wanted to have sex with her. It was unrealistic and the scenes weren't even written very well. This isn't an exact quote because I didn't write it down, but one of the characters says to Jennifer something like "okay, I think we should have sex now" kind of just out of nowhere. The scenes just didn't flow naturally and I feel like some of them were added for shock value more than anything else.
I think it detracts from a book when the explicit scenes are too many and unnatural.
I agree. A natural flow is necessary for the overall harmony.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:
Unnatural is the right word. In real life hope it is not natural to see such activities.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”