Explicit Scenes

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
akeseh
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeseh.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Re: Explicit Scenes

Post by akeseh »

Were absolutely unnecessary
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

The sex scenes felt very separate from the plot of the novel. If the author turned those into an erotic novel, that would be worth reading :wink:
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Nov 2017, 09:02 These are all my thoughts exactly. Yes, sometimes there is a purpose to an explicit scene. However, it irks the crap out of me when it seems like an author does it just to... What? Sell books? Sometimes that's what it seems like.
I feel the same way. When explicit scenes are just thrown in (outside of the romance genre, which I don't read) so very often it takes away from the story, at the very least it often doesn't serve to move the story along.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

It is unnecessary. The story can be developed without the explicit scenes.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I think the sex graphics were used to add luster into the plot; but they kind of dissuaded most of the readers.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I do not wish to put the explicit scenes in a bad light more than what they seem to be already at. But I surmise, these were also placed in those particular periods to show the prevalent standards of sexuality of the times. In effect, women were so much liberated and bold. If Jennifer was made to exemplify the "eve" of the period, then, sadly, it just got a bit excessive than what was the norm.
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

ashley_claire wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 09:05 I think the point of them was to show that 2015 wasn't as uptight regarding sexual preferences as Jennifer originally thought it would be. But the number of encounters she was having got to the point where it was almost comical. Suddenly everyone she had met wanted to have sex with her. It was unrealistic and the scenes weren't even written very well. This isn't an exact quote because I didn't write it down, but one of the characters says to Jennifer something like "okay, I think we should have sex now" kind of just out of nowhere. The scenes just didn't flow naturally and I feel like some of them were added for shock value more than anything else.
I completely agree. Everyone apparently wanted to have sex with Jennifer, and apparently everyone is also totally cool with their SOs having sex with other people. It was totally unbelievable that just about every person she met was just down to have no-strings sex.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I agree with the thought process that says the scenes were there to debunk the idea of sexual restraint in 2015. I feel like casual sex is becoming more and more acceptable for mature age groups and it's creating an almost prudish mindset in the 16 and younger generation. After all, they are so much more mature and learned then their parents ever were... :liar:

As far as it being unrealistic that she be approached for sex so often, let me throw out what my husband always tells me when we discuss sex culturally. It is his firm belief that ANY woman can get it ANY time she wants. He is all in when it comes to the theory of women being the gatekeepers. So according to him, and his man's perspective, it is totally believable that she is getting that much sex.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

nlhartje wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 01:03 As far as it being unrealistic that she be approached for sex so often, let me throw out what my husband always tells me when we discuss sex culturally. It is his firm belief that ANY woman can get it ANY time she wants. He is all in when it comes to the theory of women being the gatekeepers. So according to him, and his man's perspective, it is totally believable that she is getting that much sex.
That's a good point. The author is an older man too, and older men do tend to have this mindset. I still think it's incorrect and not true to life (and pretty insulting to men/women in general), but when I think of it like that, the easy time Jennifer had makes more sense.
Naresh607
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Naresh607 »

Explicit scenes..?????it is going to be too much fun reading this book :techie-reference:
I think by adding explicit scenes author have increased extra readers
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

Whenever it is done with respect, it seems to me that this kind of scenes are fine. :techie-studyinggray:
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I'm just never a fan of explicit scenes, but that is just my preference. I don't think a good book needs sex. Sex and intimacy are two different things.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

They were unnecessary. At first I thought maybe there's some sort of connection to the whole plot but it turned out to be a distraction. I skipped most of them.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I thought the sex scenes were completely unnecessary and their omission would not have hindered the plot in the least. If anything the author narrowed his audience because the book just does not seem appropriate for young teens. Now if the scenes were omitted, then the book would appeal to a wider audience and wouldn't be facing so much taboo.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I usually don't mind reading explicit scenes, but when it seems that they are thrown in unnecessarily, it's a "uh, why?" moment for me!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”