How did you feel about Jennifer's choice to leave her team?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Re: How did you feel about Jennifer's choice to leave her te

Post by Barbiedole »

I understood her plight so I guess it's a good choice.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I was unsure, at first, why this seemed so important to her. I knew she prepared the team well, but it seemed like she sort of chickened out of the mission. By the end of the book, I understood what motivated her, even when she didn't really know. I would be disappointed if Levin didn't follow up the 'twins out of time' plot in the next two books. I find that part really interesting.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

I felt that it was not appropriate that she left his team alone but I guess she knew what she was doing since she was the captain and she was commending this mission.But after the act she felt guilty.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
kina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 257
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kina.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B009W9AEOM

Post by kina »

Christina Rose wrote:
Miriam Molina wrote:I believe it was a selfish move. She could have told Kylie outright. The latter would have understood the situation, especially as they were lovers.
This is true. They were best friends as well, so even if she didn't completely agree with the move, she may have understood. At least she would have been prepared.
I completely agree. I became really uninterested at this point. The whole thing felt very strange, especially since they were friends and lovers. They would be a lot closer than this or more should have been discussed at least to get a better grasp on how they both felt before and afterward.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

kina wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
Miriam Molina wrote:I believe it was a selfish move. She could have told Kylie outright. The latter would have understood the situation, especially as they were lovers.
This is true. They were best friends as well, so even if she didn't completely agree with the move, she may have understood. At least she would have been prepared.
I completely agree. I became really uninterested at this point. The whole thing felt very strange, especially since they were friends and lovers. They would be a lot closer than this or more should have been discussed at least to get a better grasp on how they both felt before and afterward.
I couldn’t imagine abandoning a best friend. In the very least, a note hidden away for Kylie to find later would have been a decent enough gesture.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

It was selfish on her part regardless of how much she needed a break. Leaders should know better.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

People deal with pain and loss differently, and if it would help then I think it was a choice worth taking.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by prenaramesh »

I didn't have a problem with her choice to leave her team - everyone is allowed to retire, after all, and no one should go on a mission if they would rather not. However, I don't think she should have faked her death, and caused unnecessary grief to Kylie. In fact, this emotional upheaval might even have impacted the chances of success of the mission.
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

prenaramesh wrote:I didn't have a problem with her choice to leave her team - everyone is allowed to retire, after all, and no one should go on a mission if they would rather not. However, I don't think she should have faked her death, and caused unnecessary grief to Kylie. In fact, this emotional upheaval might even have impacted the chances of success of the mission.
That had crossed my mind also. If Kylie had become overly distraught, she wouldn’t have been much good either. Keeping the plan a secret was the selfish part, and not the smartest idea.
prenaramesh
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prenaramesh.html

Post by prenaramesh »

Christina Rose wrote:
That had crossed my mind also. If Kylie had become overly distraught, she wouldn’t have been much good either. Keeping the plan a secret was the selfish part, and not the smartest idea.
Yes! Exactly. And I don't think anyone in the team would have begrudged her the (for lack of a better word ) retirement. Or thought any less of her for wanting it
Maulyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maulyne.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Maulyne »

Being the leader of her team who new much about the project than her team mates I think she did not make the right decision
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I would agree with her decision. She had her reasons.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

prenaramesh wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
Yes! Exactly. And I don't think anyone in the team would have begrudged her the (for lack of a better word ) retirement. Or thought any less of her for wanting it
I agree. Some may have tried to convince her to stay, at least for one last mission, but I think they would have understood.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Anirudh Badri wrote:People deal with pain and loss differently, and if it would help then I think it was a choice worth taking.
Yes it's her choice. Right for her.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Amie Gene
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 244">Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series #4)</a>
Currently Reading: The Selection (the selection #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amie-gene.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amie Gene »

I don't think the timing was right for that decision. Zexton wanted her to go through with the mission, and I feel like her abandoning her team was also abandoning him. She grieved over him for so long, and I think this was one of the things that could have brought her closer together with his memory.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”