Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Kiagewinnie
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiagewinnie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Post by Kiagewinnie »

I would rate 3 out of 4 stars,it's an awesome read
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

To me this was a story of two parts that did not gel. The whole idea behind the story was the experiment and the reconnect, so were the sex scenes actually necessary at all? Did they contribute to the story? If they were to show an aspect of Jennifer's character then fine, but surely once or twice would be enough? Have people not heard of STD's? It seemed like the technical parts were written by one person and the sex scenes by another as very different language was used. I also found a lot of the dialogue between characters very forced and not natural at all, especially at the end. It also felt like the ending was wrapped up very quickly, as though "here is the twist" and then it was over. I wouldn't recommend the book at all.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I would say 3 out of 4. I enjoyed the book but I thought everything wrapped up too neatly and rapidly at the end. I thought that part could use more depth.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

The graphic scenes in 30th Century: Escape seem to leave a more lasting impression on the reader more than any other aspect or theme. I would definitely not recommend the book to anyone.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was really good. My main problem was the excessive sex scenes and the in depth details about physics as they only posed as a distraction to the plot.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

My overall rating for this story would be 4 out of 4 stars. I found the actual science in this science fiction tale the most intriguing aspect of the story closely followed by the erotic sexual encounters. I thought Levin allowed Jennifer and Marty to explore their sexuality and allowed readers along for the experience. I would recommend this story to others but would put a word of caution with it since not all readers enjoy the explicit nature of some of the story.
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by docfatima »

I would rate the book as 1 out of 4 star as i could not complete reading it. I went through excerpts and the sexual contents are revolting, rather than creating interest they distracted me.
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the reviews, there were lots of different ratings for the book. Personally I'm not a fan of explicit sexual content so I think that this book is probably not for me.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I want to read this book but after reading some comments, I am starting to have second thoughts. The amount of sex scenes discourage me to read this story. It is something I do not find particularly appealing.
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

The book was alright for me. The setting and it's futuristic nature was not convincing- did not get that "suspension of disbelief" due to what I think is bad writing. Even the extreme sexual encounters were unnecessary and did not advance the story in a meaningful way. No, I would not recommend it to anyone.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Wow this is the first forum I have read where there are so many different ratings for the book! In terms of adult scenes, people either like them or hate them but it seems that these were not the only points about the book that people did not like. Makes me want to read the book now!
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Overall I liked this book. I liked hearing bout the adventures they had exploring and meeting everyone. I really didn't like the sex scenes. I felt they took away from the book as a whole when it seemed like everyone want to sleep with her and she was more than happy to do so. I would recommend the book to mature readers only since there are so many explicit scenes. There were also several errors that made me stumble an reread to figure out if I had just read it wrong or not. Overall I would say a 2 out of 4 because of the errors and the sex overtaking the sci-fi.
tonysgirl0805
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonysgirl0805.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by tonysgirl0805 »

I was wondering about this book I know now that it is something I will not look into thanks for the heads up guys.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I feel like the rating for this book will depend on where the reader focuses. I am just about to finish reading the book; and I think the ideas portrayed are great. I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars offcourse with the graphics in consideration.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I give this book a 1 out of 4 stars. I actually did not finish it. The plot didn't appeal to me but I thought I would give it a try. I didn't get through the third chapter because I still wasn't interested. Glad I did. I wouldn't have liked the sex scenes either.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”