Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Oga
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oga.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Re: Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Post by Oga »

great and lovely write up. kudos
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Christina Rose wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 15:00
kandscreeley wrote:
ReadingRebecca wrote:My overall rating was 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the tropical setting the most. I disliked the sexual relationships the least, partly because they were not hinted at in any blurbs I read (and they were rather blatant not to be at least mentioned) and partly because they did not fit into the story in my opinion. I would not recommend this book due to the sexual content. I didn't care for the book myself, but I saw others likes it.
Really? When I looked into reading this book, I know that I saw somewhere (I'm thinking Amazon but I could be wrong) that there was explicit sexual content including all different kinds of hookups. That isn't on there any more?
I downloaded the book from Kindle Unlimited yesterday, and the warning is still there in the "About This Book" section. ("Contains graphic multi-partner sex with M/F and F/F pairings")

I'm not sure if there's a warning in a more obvious spot, though.
Robotic dialogue is painful to get through! Not to mention, your mention of just consistent sexual encounters- that can become redundant! I think I'll take a pass on this one! Thanks for the comment and happy reading!
Macleisha
Currently Reading: Parable of the Talents
Bookshelf Size: 1335
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macleisha.html
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose

Post by Macleisha »

ashley_claire wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 08:04 I gave it 1 out of 4 stars. I really struggled to find anything that I liked about this book. I didn't think it was very well written and a lot of the science and history subject matter just seemed to drag on way too much. The second half of the book is mainly made up of completely unbelievable sexual encounters where everyone Jennifer meets wants to have sex with not only her, but her partner as well. The dialogue is robotic. Jennifer being from another century and not knowing the jargon or dialect of the time she travels to explains some of this, but why do none of the other characters speak in easy conversational tones?

This book clearly wasn't my cup of tea and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I also gave it 1 out of 4 stars. I found it painful to read, but I struggled through it. A lot of the dialog sounded like lectures, and most of it seemed to be a travel book on tropical destinations in the south seas. Normally I would have given up but I promised to read it for a review.
Latest Review: "End of the Last Great Kingdom" by Victor Rose
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html
Latest Review: "Unshielded Past" by Patti Morelli

Post by Bancroft »

I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It would have been 4 out of 4 stars if there were no sex scenes.....
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I would rate it a 2 out of 4 stars
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Bancroft wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 21:30 I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It would have been 4 out of 4 stars if there were no sex scenes.....
2 out of 4 was my final rating too. It was not just because of the sex scenes, however. There were some other problems with the pace and structure, and the development of the science fiction themes left a lot to be desired. It was intriguing when Jennifer found what seemed to be a ready-made identity in the 21st century, but the final explanation of that fell rather flat.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

I noticed that most members' comments are focused on the sexual aspect of the story having such a strong factor for them to read it the least or not recommending it to certain groups of readers. But after having gone through the featured reviews of the book, I have been enlightened regarding the title and genre. I like the aspect of adventure and the depiction of nature in the story. I always find this kind of scene interesting, either in books or movies. Also, the involvement of science and technology just made the story's plot more exciting for me. The protagonist's reason for her preference to escape the future and live her life back in the 21st century left a room for me to read the book in full and discover the answer to it, myself. Initially, I'm rating this book 3 out of 4 stars.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I would give it three out of four.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Bancroft
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bancroft.html

Post by Bancroft »

I would rate it 2 out of 4 stars. I would have rated it 4 out of 4 stars if there were no explicit scenes
Sci-Fi Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sci-fi-kingdom.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Sci-Fi Kingdom »

I gave 30th Century: Escape just 1 out of 4 stars, mainly because I didn't feel the plot matched the synopsis. I though it was supposed to be a science fiction novel, in which the main characters embarked on a mission involving time travel to prevent a war. Instead we get a pointless story about a woman travelling back to a completely different period in time, with no real explanation as to why. Then forced to suffer through a boring love story as she meets a man and gets married, despite having sex with almost everyone she meets. The over abundance of erotic sex scenes don't add anything to the story, while the main plotline regarding the team who plant the virus, is basically glossed over and almost ignored entirely.
Sasha Walker
Currently Reading: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sasha-walker.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sasha Walker »

ashley_claire wrote: 02 Nov 2017, 08:04 I gave it 1 out of 4 stars. I really struggled to find anything that I liked about this book. I didn't think it was very well written and a lot of the science and history subject matter just seemed to drag on way too much. The second half of the book is mainly made up of completely unbelievable sexual encounters where everyone Jennifer meets wants to have sex with not only her, but her partner as well. The dialogue is robotic. Jennifer being from another century and not knowing the jargon or dialect of the time she travels to explains some of this, but why do none of the other characters speak in easy conversational tones?

This book clearly wasn't my cup of tea and I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Thanks for an honest review! I was thinking about reading this book but if it's robotic, random smut I think I'll stay away.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

I give it 2/4 .I like the setting , history part and the characters used.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I actually enjoyed it. I got right when I was the mood for that type of book. I rated it 3 out of 4 because I liked it, but It was harder than I thought it would be to get through. I think I tricked myself and wanted more once I got into it! lol
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I give it a 3 out of 4 stars. explicit scenes were good. the nerd in me wanted more sci fi stuff. but hey I enjoyed it non the less.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Christina Rose wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 13:07
Zelinda wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 01:30 I'm half way through this book and I mostly like it, but I find myself wandering a bit. I love the concept and am excited to see how the main problem gets resolved, but unless it picks up I won't be able to give it a 4. I will come back when done and give my overall rating.
The concept is good, I agree. I look forward to finding out if you enjoyed the rest of the book. The second half seemed less desirable for most readers, but I hope you enjoy the book overall.
I did finish the book; I really had to force myself. I did not enjoy the writing style and it seemed to devolve the more I read. I would not recommend it.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”