How did you feel about Jennifer's choice to leave her team?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: How did you feel about Jennifer's choice to leave her team?

Post by Paul78 »

Jeniffers decision to leave the team and live like a normal person at first was seen as a decoy to the naturals who were living a century in the past. But when she starts admiring the life in the past century, then it is seen as a betrayal to her colleagues.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I think the choice to come to 2015 was ingrained in her psychology due to her connection with that time.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I did not think Jennifer was a likable character, and that is why I struggled with this book. If she had abandoned her team for a more noble reason, I would have felt better about her, but I did not the selfishness. Perhaps others on her team hahasd experienced pain and losses; did they abandon their comrades? Maybe her actions in the past will affect the future and make some things better, but it seems like her main motivation was to escape. :(
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Lebs
Currently Reading: Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by Lebs »

I completely understand. She had given all she could and more than necessary. She also knew that something had to change. I'm surprised she didn't leave sooner.
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

I am only 1/3 way through but at this point i feel it was a selfish bad decision, with the fate of the future world at stake she should have put the mission first. after all it was her mission and she had responsibility to see it through. I will update if I change my mind.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

It was a selfish thing to do but I understand why. She was still grieving the loss of her partner. That can make you think you are doing the right thing whether you are or not. I also feel that for the sake of her team that it may have been the right thing to do because she could have hurt her team more by trying to help but being blinded by grief at a crucial time.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Jennifer's choice of leaving her team is truly ill-advised and rather somewhat selfish of her. And this added up to the other acts of turpitude she had committed, one among which is lying about her past.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html

Post by Annamikov »

It may have seemed like a selfish choice at first, however I completely understand that. She needed time to heal her wounds, and she needed a break from constant missions. But yes, the timing was definitely a little off.
eBookreviewer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8714">The Angel's Game</a>
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebookreviewer.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by eBookreviewer »

A little bit disappointed but I understand it.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Precisely because the time was crucial, she had to make that choice. "I do it now or never," that kind of feeling, so I don't blame her.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Ultimately, her decision jarred with me as it felt selfish given what was at stake. It also felt abrupt but that may simply because we were only told of her decision at the very last moment, when everything was happening so quickly, whereas she may have been thinking about it for a long time.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Initially, I thought she had a private plan as part of the greater conflict, and I waited to find out what it was after getting off the island. When she revealed she actually abandoned her team, I couldn't believe it, and I couldn't figure how she was supposed to be the hero. Oftentimes in these stories of struggles, we'll see the hero beat down to the point where they want to quit and/or give up; and what makes them great and heroic is that they find their inner strength to push on against all odds...that wasn't Jennifer, and it felt even stranger when her team shrugged it off later in the book...
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I don't know that I can judge her for wanting time off, but at the same time, her actions throughout the book were selfish. She didn't even think to look for a way to go help them until she was assured that she could return to her happy life here, so I'm having a hard time being on her side with this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I sympathized with her and understood why she did it. But I felt like it was very selfish of her and the timing she was chose very weird. She was responsible for all the people on her team, and it felt like she was in a sense abandoning them. I thought it would have made more sense if she had left them after they completed the mission.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I understand she was trying to renew her life, i felt she shouldn't have left, she had an obligation to her team, but abandoned them.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”