Was Myra Necessary In The Story

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
Zain Farough
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-farough.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Was Myra Necessary In The Story

Post by Zain Farough »

This discussion is about Myra. As we all know that she is William's daughter but the question rises was she important in the story? Come on guys please tell me what do you think.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I think she was important. She represented the native people. She narrated a legend of the origin of the native people. Through her arguments with Sergei, we get to know what Sergei knows. I think she is also the one who is able to keep up with Sarah during the first trip.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

She is because she holds a strong connection to the people of long ago. She is also an ally of sorts to Sarah and a guardian of the elderly men. I think it is also more of a setup for a future encounter with Sergei. She will replace the loss of Sergei's father somewhat by taking up the beliefs and arguments of Sergei's father.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Yes, I think she is important. She befriended Sarah at an important moment. She was also the voice opposing the corporation that was trying to destroy the wilderness.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Kuolettava
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuolettava.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kuolettava »

Myra is important to this story. I don’t think any of what happened would have happened as smoothly were it not for her. I know that there was a lot of conflict in the group, but Myra was a great mediator between Sarah and Tom specifically. She helped give Sarah a grounding point so she could adjust easier to the vastly different environment from what she was used to.

Myra was also a crucial part of not only helping Sergei cope with the loss of his father, but for William coping with the loss of a dear friend. While Sergei had someone to challenge him, William had someone who helped to keep the balance between what he had lost and what he had left.

Personally, I don’t think the author handled grief very well, but the effort is clearly there.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I read this book in February so I’m a little late to the discussion - but I submit that not only is Myra unnecessary, but so is William. Hear me out:

William is supposed to be the most native-like, and Myra the most enthusiastic about her history. But Tom also had native blood, and cared to some extent about his history: all three of the main adults are tall stubborn outdoorsmen with native heritage. I think they were all pretty shallow characters, but if you combined all of their traits into one person - Tom - then you’d have a far more complex character and the story could focus on his growing relationship with his granddaughter. I don’t care if Sarah and Myra get along. I don’t care if Sarah and William get along. I just want Tom and Sarah to grow alongside one another and Tom can be the one to share their native heritage with Sarah.

So Myra as a separate character didn’t need to exist, though certainly some of her traits should be retained.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

Myra served as the liaison between Sarah's youth and the two older men. She helped Sarah to relate to her grandfather and to William. Sarah's experience currently living with and working with those on the reservation gave credibility to the Indian beliefs.
She was very necessary.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

She was necessary as a friend to Sarah and as a woman whom Sarah could relate easily to also she was important as a mediator between Sarah and her grandfather.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Absolutely! For the reasons stated above as kind of a go between for Sarah and her grandfather as well as to represent the interest of the native people. Yes, Tom had native blood but he hadn't explored it and didn't have the pride of the people that Myra (and William) had. The comment that perhaps William was not necessary sat with me a moment and I could almost agree but if he's not there, who tempers Myra in the main body of the story. I don't think it would have worked without him providing that calming factor.

I also think Myra was necessary to challenge Sergei's point of view. It would have been too neat to bring Sergei along and easily tie up Sarah's story. He needed to be a true scientist focused on data, argue with Myra, and hear Sarah's story to consider a new theory.

Just my thoughts - I love the discussion and very much enjoyed the book.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Myra is important, without her, Sara will never come back to Tom's life. I think Myra, in some way, was the one to start the legend and Sara just fill the empty spaces between Myra's point of view and Sergei's need of facts.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Zain Farough wrote: 03 Nov 2017, 05:22 This discussion is about Myra. As we all know that she is William's daughter but the question rises was she important in the story? Come on guys please tell me what do you think.
Yes, she is important in the story. For one, Tom would have been in more trouble without a female presence in their journey with Sarah. She also represented the academe brood who could be open to alternative yet still potentially-viable sources for and means of coming up with valid scientific conclusions.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

CNWaweru wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 02:03 I think she was important. She represented the native people. She narrated a legend of the origin of the native people. Through her arguments with Sergei, we get to know what Sergei knows. I think she is also the one who is able to keep up with Sarah during the first trip.
I agree she's important in her role as a champion of the best interests of the natives, in Sergei's process of discovery, and as Sarah's able companion.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

cozark38 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 19:03 She is because she holds a strong connection to the people of long ago. She is also an ally of sorts to Sarah and a guardian of the elderly men. I think it is also more of a setup for a future encounter with Sergei. She will replace the loss of Sergei's father somewhat by taking up the beliefs and arguments of Sergei's father.
Sergei might have lost someone so dear but Myra filled in that void, indeed.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 06:50 Yes, I think she is important. She befriended Sarah at an important moment. She was also the voice opposing the corporation that was trying to destroy the wilderness.
Myra indeed filled in the void in Sarah's lack of a mother figure in her life, and in William's and Tom's lack of audacity to express what they also felt and think about Buckhorn.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Kuolettava wrote: 30 Jan 2018, 14:59 Myra is important to this story. I don’t think any of what happened would have happened as smoothly were it not for her. I know that there was a lot of conflict in the group, but Myra was a great mediator between Sarah and Tom specifically. She helped give Sarah a grounding point so she could adjust easier to the vastly different environment from what she was used to.

Myra was also a crucial part of not only helping Sergei cope with the loss of his father, but for William coping with the loss of a dear friend. While Sergei had someone to challenge him, William had someone who helped to keep the balance between what he had lost and what he had left.

Personally, I don’t think the author handled grief very well, but the effort is clearly there.
I also agree with the importance of Myra's role in balancing situations and filling in the gaps of and for the other characters. Our ability and decisions in coping with what life's would have for us are influenced by several factors, including but not limited to situations and intentions.

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”